Feature request: sealing a shared item

finnsch
finnsch
Community Member

Hi all,

I would like to have a feature, that allows me to create a password/login which I can then seal.
Meaning if someone is breaking the seal, I will get an email instantly that the seal was broken.
For example:

Me, as the account owner, happens something and I am dead.
I then want to give my wife access to all of my stored passwords, therefore she needs my master key and backup codes.
I could create an item in our shared passwordsafe with all my details (and vice versa) and seal it, so when or if she breaks the seal I will get a notification.
Either I am dead and it doesn't bother me, or I then have the chance to change my (master-)passwords.

What do you think? Does it make sense to you as well?

Thanks,
Cheers.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

A number of password managers offer something similar, usually calling it Emergency Access. It can be useful to those you leave behind after your untimely demise and when you lose access to your account.

It usually involves authorising one of your family to access your account after a defined waiting period. The start of the waiting period is triggered when they request access and you receive an email at this point. If you don't respond to the email and don't log-in to your account then they gain access to your vaults after the waiting period expires.

1Password's existing account recovery process allows you to make another member of your family a "Family Organiser". If you share your email credentials with them via a shared vault then they could trigger and respond to the account recovery process. There's no waiting period so you'd need to trust that they wouldn't do this while you're asleep or otherwise away from your email!

• Thanks @missingbits

@finnsch

We currently do not have a way to achieve what you are looking to do. It's an interesting idea. I'll pass it along to the rest of the team. Our Emergency Kit is best way to safeguard your data.

ref: dev/projects/customer-feature-requests#29

• finnsch
    finnsch
    Community Member

Great, thanks guys.
    Looking forward for any updates

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

:+1: :)

• c600g
    c600g
    Community Member

Yes, please add an "Emergency Access" feature. My family is currently a LastPass family group and we're switching - evaluating a few products. This is an important feature to safeguard for access.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for letting us know your wishes @c600g, I have passed your feedback to the developers :+1:

• occamsrazor
    occamsrazor
    Community Member

"It usually involves authorising one of your family to access your account after a defined waiting period. The start of the waiting period is triggered when they request access and you receive an email at this point. If you don't respond to the email and don't log-in to your account then they gain access to your vaults after the waiting period expires."

I also agree that some kind of time-based emergency access for a family member in case of death would be really useful. I'm aware the emergency kit can be used for this but you may not want to grant full access to everything instantly as it does.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@occamsrazor:

Thank you for chiming in on this, noted!

This discussion has been closed.