[Feature] Tag won't-do 2FA sites

bhanafee
bhanafee
Community Member

Some sites are listed as having 2FA available, but they're not really usable. I'd like to tag them so they can be filtered out of the list of sites where it's available but not set. Examples:

• Wikipedia only offers 2FA to certain users
  • Oracle has "Cloud Account" with 2FA and "Oracle Account" without it, and 1Password can't tell which is which
  • Okta supports it only for some subdomains depending on what their customer allows

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member

You can already do that using the “2FA” tag.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Indeed, let us know how that works for you too @bhanafee :+1:

• bhanafee
    bhanafee
    Community Member

I don't understand the suggestion. The use case is I'm using 1Password to find sites that have 2FA but I don't have it set. There are a number on that list already where for assorted reasons I can't take advantage of 2FA. How do I use the 2FA tag to identify sites where 2FA is offered but useless to me?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@bhanafee:

How do I use the 2FA tag to identify sites where 2FA is offered but useless to me?

You can add a tag named 2fa to those entries. See this documentation page for some details:

Organize with favorites and tags

• bhanafee
    bhanafee
    Community Member

I'm still confused. Right now

• 1Password can tell me which sites it thinks have 2FA available but I don't have it set. That's in Watchtower under "Two-Factor Authentication" This is the list that I want to stop nagging me about the ones that are not usable.
    • 1Password won't tell me which sites have 2FA set already. I assign a 2FA tag to them manually.

That 2FA tag, as best I can tell, has no bearing on whether a site appears in the Watchtower "Two-Factor Authentication" list.

There's an entirely separate thread about automatically identifying sites that have 2FA already, since there isn't a good way to find those sites - they're hidden from Watchtower "Two-Factor Authentication" because the field exists, but nothing else that I can find knows how to identify entries where the field exists.

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member

That 2FA tag, as best I can tell, has no bearing on whether a site appears in the Watchtower "Two-Factor Authentication" list.

It does though...

1. Add the tag "2FA" to one of your "won't do 2FA" entries
    2. Check that it no longer occurs in Watchtower (as a site offering 2FA, but not having it enabled)

It might be confusing if you were already using the tag "2FA" yourself, before 1Password gave it a special meaning?

(happened to me)

• Ben
    Ben
    edited June 2021

You can also click the little arrow on the Watchtower warning for that Login item and select "Don't Save in 1Password," which will add the 2FA tag and remove the item from that Watchtower category. It does sometimes take a moment to refresh and disappear from Watchtower. I recorded a video demonstrating this:

https://bucket.agilebits.com/tmp/ben/2021-06-01 16-50-11.mp4

You can see the slight delay toward the end of the video before the item was removed from Watchtower, but it does disappear, and there are only 4 items left in the list (previously 5).

Ben

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member

It might be confusing if you were already using the tag "2FA" yourself, before 1Password gave it a special meaning?
    (happened to me)

Happened to me too. I'm using the tag "2FA" for all entries which I have enabled 2FA. So I have the possibility to sort / filter entries by 2FA category.

which will add the 2FA tag and remove the item from that Watchtower

Please don't add such a tag automatically... :'(

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

It won't be added automatically @DenalB, only if you specifically choose that option :+1:

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member
    edited June 2021

only if you specifically choose that option

Sounds good. Till now, I didn't choose this option. Hopefully you could integrate another possibility to sort / filter for entries with 2FA enabled so that I don't have to use my 2FA-tag. ;)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

That's indeed one of the ideas the team would like to investigate @DenalB :+1:

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member

Would be great @ag_ana ! :love:

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

:+1: :)

• Tertius3
    Tertius3
    Community Member

To be honest, I'm not satisfied to change one category for another. I don't want to tag entries to make them disappear from Watchtower, only to have a new tag that now pollutes my tag list. Tags are very important to me for organizing, and having a useless tag is annoying.

But I found a very easy workaround I'd like to share, and I hope it isn't disabled by the devs with some future update:

Just add a onetime password field to an entry and add some invalid data, for example a simple "x". The entry immediately vanishes from the Watchtower 2fa category, and you don't need to clutter your tags. Works perfectly for example for Wikipedia, where only special dev accounts are enabled for 2fa.

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member

Thanks for the workaround @Tertius3 . I will try if it fits for me. :+1:

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for the suggestion @Tertius3!

This discussion has been closed.