How to Enable Dark Mode?

How do you enable Dark Mode? I've searched through all the option in the Windows App and Chrome extension and found nothing.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• crazycaveman
    crazycaveman
    Community Member
    edited May 2021

I believe you can only use dark mode in the browser extension (if the app has a dark mode, I don't see it either but I want it!). To enable it, go to settings for the 1Password extension in your browser (right click on the 1Password icon and select settings). Under the General header, there is a drop down for appearance; by default it is set to "Match System" but you can change it to Light or Dark.

Note: You need to be on version 2.0.0 or higher for this option to be available

• ChristopherB
    ChristopherB
    Community Member

The Windows app itself does not have dark mode yet. It has been requested a lot so I hope it is in the plans, but at the moment only the browser extension has it for Windows users.

• Rochambeaux
    Rochambeaux
    Community Member

Not sure what browser "extension" you're showing. I have the Chrome extension installed - it says it's version 7.7.805 and is up to date. I don't have the "Appearance" option.

• Ben
    Ben
    edited May 2021

Hey @Rochambeaux

v7.7.805 would be a version of 1Password for Windows. The extensions have their own versioning. There are two different 1Password extensions:

If you have the latter installed, and have a 1Password membership, you can uninstall it and the follow the link above to install the former. As was mentioned above 1Password for Windows doesn't have dark mode (yet), but 1Password in the Browser v2 does. I hope that helps!

Ben

• Rochambeaux
    Rochambeaux
    Community Member
    edited May 2021

Thank you Ben.

Do I have to remove the Windows app version as well and only have the v2.0 extension installed? I still can't find how to get into that extension settings to enable Dark mode.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Rochambeaux:

Do I have to remove the Windows app version as well and only have the v2.0 extension installed?

No need to remove the desktop app too :+1:

I still can't find how to get into that extension settings to enable Dark mode.

If you click on the 1Password extension button, you can click on the cog icon to get to the settings:

• Pampu
    Pampu
    Community Member

Hi there,

are there news regarding a dark mode for the Windows app?

Kind regards
    Dominik

• Hi @Pampu,

Thanks for asking about an update! 1Password 8 (currently in Early Access for macOS and Windows, and available now for Linux) does offer dark mode that looks outstanding.

If you'd like to give 1Password 8 Early Access a try, head here for more details: https://1password.community/discussion/121163/1password-8-for-windows-early-access

Jack

• Pampu
    Pampu
    Community Member

Hi @jack.platten

Good point. Didn’t know 1Password 8 is in Public Beta for Windows.
    (Maybe not the right place but…) Is there a risk for the stores passwords when using the beta?

Dominik

• @Pampu:

You're very welcome! The vast majority of our organization has been running 1Password 8 across various platforms internally for months.

Jack

• FOSS_FLOSS
    FOSS_FLOSS
    Community Member

How to enable dark mode for the chrome extension? It seems to only be for the menu and not for the account.1password.com pages (which are required for a lot of functionality).

• Hi @FOSS_FLOSS:

As it currently stands, dark mode is only available in 1Password 8 and 1Password in the browser, and not the 1Password.com web interface. However, we do have an existing feature request to add dark mode to 1Password.com, so I'll add your input to that issue. Thanks!

Jack

ref: dev/projects/customer-feature-requests#680

This discussion has been closed.