Change 1Password Account

Overnight my 1Password Chrome extension updated and, for some reason, it now wants my to log in to my wife's account instead of mine. We both have logins with a family plan and different vaults and a shared one. For obvious reasons I need access to my own on my own Chrome profile like we've always had. I removed and reinstalled the 1Password extension hoping it would prompt me to re-log in but it does not, just for her password. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

1Password Version: 7.7.805
Extension Version: 2.0.1
OS Version: Windows 10 Pro
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2021

Hey @jallenrt ,

The latest update to 1Password added a new feature that allows the extension to integrate with the 1Password desktop app, and will require you to unlock it with the desktop app's account/Master Password.

You can disable the integration feature in the extension's settings though:

1. Right click the 1Password extension icon in the top right corner of your browser and select "Settings". If you don't see a 1Password icon there, it may be hiding in the grey puzzle piece icon in that area.
    2. Turn off the "Integrate with 1Password app" option there.
    3. Test and see if you are now able to unlock 1Password properly in the browser.

However, a solution for the long run would be to completely separate your (and your wife's) working environment. Creating a separate Chrome profile is a good start, but a complete solution would be to create your own user account on the computer (e.g. when Windows boots up it will ask you into which user you'd like to sign into). That way, you will have your own private and separate working environment, including your own desktop, folders and files, browsers etc. That will also separate 1Password and the desktop app for each one of you.

When you are done using the computer, log out of your user account so that the next person who wants to use the computer can sign into theirs.

• jallenrt
    jallenrt
    Community Member

Thanks, that solution worked perfectly, was thorough, and well laid out.

I agree that segregating user data into seperate Windows user id's would be the best set up and, if we were in a business setting, I would totally insist on it but, at least for us and the way our family uses this main computer (my wife and I also have our own seperate laptops) it's just an unworkable solution.

Because of that, your answer worked well.
    Thanks again!

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

I'm glad to hear it @jallenrt .

Please keep in mind that if you re-install the extension in your browser on that computer for any reason, you will have to turn off the integration once more to avoid this issue from resurfacing. Other than that I hope you'll have smooth sailing from here on out!

This discussion has been closed.