Multiple cloud accounts separation with Desktop and Browser

Options

Hi folks,

I currently have a setup where I use the Desktop App (logged in to the cloud) + the legacy extension in Chrome for one of my 1Password cloud accounts, and then I use Firefox + the new 1Password extension logged into the cloud for another account.

I want to keep both of these accounts completely separate. I don't want them both in the Desktop app. I also want to keep Chrome pointing toward the account logged into the desktop app, and Firefox self contained logged into the other cloud account directly.

My question is, can I swap the extension in Chrome to the newer extension and have it still refer to the Desktop app (and/or have it logged in to the same cloud account as the desktop app), while continuing to use the same extension in Firefox with a completely separate cloud account?

Thanks

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @warpspeed!

Yes you can do this: you can just skip the integration with the extension in Firefox so it remains separate, and replace the Chrome extension with the new one, which can integrate with the desktop app. So you will have the same configuration as now, just with the new extension :+1:

• warpspeed
    warpspeed
    Community Member
    edited June 2021
    Options

@ag_ana FYI I did this, and somehow it decided to integrate with the Desktop app and then logged the desktop app into the account I wanted kept separate.

I then had to log the plugin and desktop app out of the account I wanted kept separate, and then log the other browser out of the account from the desktop app. Then manually turn off Desktop App integration. I'd have rather not had it do that in the first place as it's (potentially) exposed data to the Desktop app that I didn't really want exposed.

Perhaps the plugin needs to ask the user whether they want Desktop app integration turned on or not, not just make that assumption.

It would also be very useful for the plugin popups to be explicit about the vault/data/account that is being logged into, I think there was a popup that said login to your account or something and it logged me into one I wasn't expecting, or flicked me through the desktop app to authorise something, when I wasn't expecting it. Which may have also contributed to the wrong accounts/vaults ending up in the wrong places.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @warpspeed ,
    Thanks for the feedback and input here.

Our goal with the integration is to make the setup as easy and seamless as possible to users (both new and existing). Your setup requirements are quite unique so it wasn't as smooth for you, but most people would find such prompts/messages/questions confusing, especially if it is their first install. Things should just work when installing 1Password.

Regardless, we're always looking on how to improve things on that front so your feedback is much appreciated!

If you ever need to re-install the extension, instead of going through the same ordeal you just wrote above, you can simply go into the extension's settings, turn off the integration first, then remove the excess account(s) from the extension in the bottom part of its settings page.

I hope that will help you in the future.

This discussion has been closed.