Safari extension not working after automatic update

drdredsnomo
drdredsnomo
Community Member

Safari password fields shows locked 1PW icon. Taskbar dropdown menu says to turn on 1PW extension in Safari. In Safari, 1PW 7.8.1 is selected. When I deselect it, close Safari, reopen Safari and re-select it, nothing changes.

1Password Version: 1Password 7 Version 7.8 (70800001) Mac App Store
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.15.7
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:safari extension not working

Comments

• @drdredsnomo

Please give the Mac a restart. That should help.

• mt21
    mt21
    Community Member

Same issue here. Restart helps but breaks again after using once or twice.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@mt21:

What version of 1Password for Mac and of macOS are you running?

• mt21
    mt21
    Community Member

MacOS 11.2.1 and 1Password 7.8.1 ...I have the license version via download. I think it was accidentally overwritten by the Mac App Store version. Seems to be working okay now after deleting the application and re-installing from your site.

• @mt21

Can you try hiding your 1Password purchase on the Mac App Store: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201322 *Only do this for the Mac version. Doing that should stop the accidental updates from that store.

• This is a step I found years ago on an Apple support community. It's not an approved method from Apple but has served me well over the years. I hope you'll find it equally as helpful. With it being an unofficial workaround, we do not have it documented on our site. I can't guarantee it will work or continue to work, but I have never had another problem with my updates since taking this step.
  • mt21
    mt21
    Community Member

Thank you. Hopefully that resolves it.

• :+1: :chuffed:

• jldinsdale
    jldinsdale
    Community Member

Bump - Same problem.

1Password 7.8.1 latest update has broken functionality.

1. 1Password mini icon in menu bar - when clicking on it, nothing happens. Right click offers reduced options:
      https://www.dropbox.com/s/7fpnaa8phheszah/Screen Shot 2021-04-24 at 2.11.05 PM.png?dl=0
    2. Regular 1Password app does not offer to take me to, or autofill, login credentials like it used to.
    3. For several days, I was getting the Finder error message "1Password is not installed in your applications folder" when indeed it is. Finally clicking on "Ignore" has stopped the error message, but obviously would prefer not to lose functionality.
    4. Not finding any information in the Support website on this issue.

Not sure how to proceed at this stage apart from completely deleting 1Password and starting over again.

• ag_tommy
    edited April 2021

@jldinsdale

Restart the Mac. Others here in the community have had the same trouble, and that step provided the quickest resolution.

• jldinsdale
    jldinsdale
    Community Member

Thanks for the input but unfortunately that has not changed the situation. Still not performing as expected.

Will try re-installing from website.

• @jldinsdale

Please let us know how it goes.

• drdredsnomo
    drdredsnomo
    Community Member

@ag_tommy

Thanks for responding. A restart has fixed the problem. So far ( 2 days after restart), the problem has not resurfaced. Thanks again!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

That's great to hear @drdredsnomo, thank you for the update :)

• nievesj
    nievesj
    Community Member

I'm having the same issue with MacOs (Big Sur) and Safari, and while restarting the computer works, it's getting very annoying having to restart my computers every time theres an update. When is this expected to be fixed?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@nievesj:

If this happens to you once again, can you check if quitting 1Password completely (right-click on 1Password mini in the menu bar at the top right of your screen > Quit 1Password Completely) works for you, instead of rebooting?

• nievesj
    nievesj
    Community Member
    edited May 2021

@ag_ana I have tried that on previous occasions and no, it doesn’t fix it. I have also tried disabling the extension, closing safari and 1password, reopening and re-enabling and nothing. The only thing that fixes the extension after 1Password is automatically updated from the App Store is restarting the computer.

This happens in Catalina and Big Sur.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for the confirmation @nievesj! The next time it happens then, before you reboot, I would like to ask you to generate a diagnostics report from your Mac and email it to us to support+forum@agilebits.com, so we can take a closer look at why this is happening to you.

After you have sent the email, please feel free to post the ticket number you received so we can locate your message and connect it with this forum discussion.

Looking forward to your message!

This discussion has been closed.