About default shared vault

OrangeMonkey
OrangeMonkey
Community Member

It makes perfect sense to have a default 'shared vault' ready and waiting upon entering your family plan for the first time.

But, my OCD doesn't like this shared vault because it's programmatically unique (for example, no editable permissions). So, I made my own vault giving it the same family permissions, so stylistically the same as the default vault.

Before I delete the default vault, I want to understand if I'm missing something since this vault is not re-creatable by the user. Or because it's programmatically unique, will I break some family functionality by deleting it? Thanks.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @OrangeMonkey!

You can always recreate a Shared vault that is accessible by anyone later on, you will not break your account if you delete it now because you don't want it :+1:

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

@OrangeMonkey I have renamed the default shared folder "Transfer" and use it just for transferring items between Private vaults.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

That's also a good idea, I like that @missingbits!

• OrangeMonkey
    OrangeMonkey
    Community Member

Just for clarity, the default shared vault cannot be recreated because it's unique with no editable permissions. All vaults created by family organizers have editable permissions. I've already deleted it.

• Thanks for keeping us up to date. We appreciate it.

• occamsrazor
    occamsrazor
    Community Member

So to understand, there is nothing advantageous to using the default shared vault (except that it is already created)? Creating a new vault for sharing purposes seems to be much better in that you can set access permissions. The default shared vault is just a normal vault with all-users view & edit permissions enabled and the controls removed?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@occamsrazor:

Indeed, it's a convenience feature that you already get a vault configured for easy sharing within a Families or Business account, so you don't have to worry about that :+1:

• williakz
    williakz
    Community Member

Long gone and not missed in my (family's) case.

• One thing that is unique about the built-in Shared vault in 1Password Families is that all new family members automatically have access to it... whereas with a user created vault the new family member would need to be added to the vault. There is no way to recreate that functionality if you delete the built-in Shared vault.

This isn't the case for 1Password Teams or 1Password Business because the 'Team Members' group can be given access to a user created vault, and all new team members are automatically added to that group when they are confirmed. 1Password Families doesn't have groups (at least, not that are exposed in the UI).

If you aren't adding new family members often, then this is likely not much of a concern, but it is technically a distinction that exists.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.