1Password Standalone + Windows Hello combination

smog
smog
Community Member

First of all, I really love 1password and the team who work so hard to help us make our life easier and more secure.
(Support usually have to deal with problems/issues, but not much any good feedback)

I am trying to figure out to get work with my Standalone Desktop version + Chrome/Edge extension work with Windows Hello.
The first time I try to unlock my vault I always have to add my master password, and only if I lock it back, then I am able to unlock it with Hello.

Is it just a bug and will be fixed?

Standalone Version: 7.7.805
Edge Extension: 4.7.5.90
Windows 10 19042.985 (also tried on Windows 10 21H1)

Thank you! :)

1Password Version: 7.7.805
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
OS Version: Windows 10 19042.985
Sync Type: Google Drive

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2021

Hi @smog!

First of all, I really love 1password and the team who work so hard to help us make our life easier and more secure.
    (Support usually have to deal with problems/issues, but not much any good feedback)

Thank you for the kind words! :)

The first time I try to unlock my vault I always have to add my master password, and only if I lock it back, then I am able to unlock it with Hello.

Sometimes you’ll need to enter your Master Password instead of using Windows Hello:

• If your face or fingerprint isn’t recognized, or there was an error on your companion device.
    • If you’re trying to change your Master Password
    • If you’ve restarted 1Password, including after updating 1Password or restarting your PC

Since Windows Hello works for you, it sounds like when you are asked for the Master Password you fall into one of these scenarios.

• smog
    smog
    Community Member

Most likely fall into this scenario: "restarting your PC"

So there will be no option to only use my Windows Hello login method to unlock my vault. :S
    And only use my master password if no other login options are available.

The reason I ask is because, I try to avoid as much as possible using "type in" login methods.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@smog:

After a reboot, you most certainly need to enter your Master Password at least once. This is because the Master Password is not stored anywhere, and if you could login to 1Password automatically after a reboot, it would mean that your Master Password is stored somewhere on your system, unencrypted, so this is actually for security reasons.

• Catskill
    Catskill
    Community Member

@smog After a reboot why can't we use Windows Hello to relogin to 1Password? Having to enter the master password after each reboot is really making me consider making my master password shorter and thus less secure.

• @Catskill as mentioned above, unlike modern Mac's, where Secure Enclave allows us to let folks use Touch ID between restarts of the machine -- there's no equivalent for this on Windows devices, leaving us without a secure place to store the data needed to keep Windows Hello as an always-on login option.

• smog
    smog
    Community Member

What about an option to always "force a secure desktop"? It would give me a more secure feeling, typing my master password the first time. And later I can still enter with Windows Hello.

If I can recall, in the older version 4 got an option like this. Every time I had to enter my master password It started (automatically) on a secured desktop. Now I have to click on the little shield icon. I know it is just a small extra step, but would be cool to have this little option.

Thanks! :)

• @smog

We do not have any plans to add a always-on Secure Desktop function at this time. That said, I'll certainly pass it along to our team for consideration.

Let me know if there's anything else you can think of! 😊

This discussion has been closed.