Command + Backspace in Search Box Archives Login

Options
fergie
fergie
Community Member
edited June 2021 in Mac

When I go to search for a login and there is a previous search open, I like to clear the search box with a Command (⌘) + Backspace, the standard MacOS combination to delete the entire line.

Now, when I try to do this, 1Password tries to Archive the selected login item, even though the focus is still on the search box.

I'm pretty sure this used to work until recently so maybe a change introduced with the Archive functionality in 7.8.2?

I found a very old similar issue https://1password.community/discussion/33046/ive-been-accidentally-deleting-all-my-logins-when-i-try-to-clear-the-search-field but pretty sure this was fixed at some point.

Can anyone else confirm?

Thanks!

1Password Version: 7.8.5
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: MacOS 11.4
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @fergie!

I checked this recently with a developer, and I was told that is how it always worked: Command-Delete is modeled after the keyboard shortcut for the Finder to trash an item, and it's been that way for a long time, so not a recent change :+1:

• fergie
    fergie
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @ag_ana for the clarification.

I’m willing to accept that it’s not changed recently but I still think the behaviour is a bit odd.

Most text editors support Command-Backspace (Delete) as a means of left-deleting from the cursor to the start of the line so I’d expect this to work the same in the search text field in 1Password. It works when editing 1Password login text fields for example and doesn’t archive or delete the item itself. It should only archive or delete the item as per the Finder behaviour when a login item has the focus, not the text field IMHO.

• Ben
    Options

Thanks for the feedback, @fergie. We do have some revisions coming to search for a future version of 1Password. On initial glance it looks like those changes will address this concern. 🤞

Ben

• dangh
    dangh
    Community Member
    Options

Just chime in here to say that I'm having the same issue and it's super frustrating. I always use that shortcut in 1Password and it works as expected until the latest version. Glad to hear that there is upcoming potential fix.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thank you for chiming in here as well @dangh :+1:

• clinz
    clinz
    Community Member
    Options

I've been using 1password for a few years now, and I am just now noticing this happen. Having the ability to cmd + delete to remove all text in a line is functionality that I use in every application where I'm able to write out text. I did it just now in this form. I feel like it's a bad move to archive/trash/delete an item in 1Password with cmd + delete. It doesn't follow the majority of functionality out there which will make it nonintuitive. This isn't a thing someone should want to "be different" about. Thanks for listening.

• Ben
    Options

Thanks @clinz. :)

Ben

• allienx
    allienx
    Community Member
    Options

Any word on a new version changing this behavior? I'm on 7.8.7 (also tried the next beta release) and am bitten by this all the time. Ideally, when the a user is in the search field cmd + delete only affects text in the search field and does not affect the list.

Thanks!

• @allienx

I'm not aware of any plans in this regard for v7, however, in 1Password 8 (currently in Early Access) this functions as requested.

Ben

• allienx
    allienx
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @Ben! Will give v8 a try.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Sounds good @allienx :+1: :)

• ivantse
    ivantse
    Community Member
    Options

This was bugging me to no end, so I setup a keyboard shortcut to match Mail.app's Archive shortcut so I don't accidentally hit cmd-delete to Archive. Hope this helps someone else.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thank you for sharing @ivantse!

• vvv12345
    vvv12345
    Community Member
    Options

I have had the same issue for a long time already, and it is so frustrating! I always discover a lot of actual items archived.
    I hope you will be able to handle that in the new version.

Many thanks for considering my request.

Vova

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thank you for the feedback @vvv12345! I will be happy to pass it along to the developers :+1:

This discussion has been closed.