[Feature Request] Allow items to be shared across multiple vaults

Options
ottawapat
ottawapat
Community Member

I'm unsure if this has been suggested elsewhere and my searches didn't seem to lead anywhere.

Would it be possible to add checkboxes to items that allow a user to select which vaults that entry can appear in? I mostly see this as being useful when sharing items with other family members. I may want to share certain info with one family member and not another. It would be a lot easier to create a shared vault with each family member and then have the ability to choose which vault the item can appear in.

As it stands, I have to copy the item into each vault and when I make a change, I then have to copy it again to all the vaults to overwrite the previous entry.

Note: I'm a new user (started today). If there's something I haven't found that can achieve this, please let me know.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @ottawapat!

Thank you very much for taking time out of your day to to share this feedback! We appreciate every idea that could make 1Password even better.

I can see how this could be useful to you, so while I cannot make any promises, I can tell you that I have shared your feedback internally :)

Once again, thank you and have a wonderful day!

• Tertius3
    Tertius3
    Community Member
    edited June 2021
    Options

@ottawapat as a new user myself who had the same challenge, I know what you mean. However, organizing and sharing and synchronizing passwords take place on vault level, so either everything within a vault is shared or nothing. That's one of the core design principles of 1Password, so don't expect to change this any time soon.

So think different. Don't create vaults you use as "Shared between me and Anton", "Shared between me and Berta", "Shared between Anton and Berta". Instead create vaults as "Parents", "Childs", "TV streaming providers", "School stuff for Mike", "School stuff for Maria", then organize by topic.

Childs would not get access to Parents, your son Mike would get access to school stuff for Mike but not Maria, while your daughter Maria would get access to school stuff for Maria and not to Mike. If you organize like this, permissions to access or deny come naturally.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

So think different. Don't create vaults you use as "Shared between me and Anton", "Shared between me and Berta", "Shared between Anton and Berta". Instead create vaults as "Parents", "Childs", "TV streaming providers", "School stuff for Mike", "School stuff for Maria", then organize by topic.

This is indeed a nice way to think about vaults @Tertius3, thank you for sharing!

This discussion has been closed.