1Password for Windows and native support for ARM devices e.g. Surface Pro X

Does native support exist for Windows 10 ARM devices? Not emulation e.g. ARM64.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Blake
    edited June 2021

Hi @Rangeball 🏌️‍♂️

There isn't a ARM-native version of 1Password for Windows available at this time, and there's not much we can say there with any real certainty at this time.

I've heard from others that Chrome and Microsoft Edge runs fairly well on the Windows 10 ARM. Firefox, if my memory isn't failing me, has an ARM native version. 1Password in your Browser will work in any of these browsers and since the browser is its home, it should run far better than the desktop app and the reports I've had from customer giving it a try.

For the moment, this is likely to be the best solution in the short term. Anything more is going to take some time. And who knows? You might find you love it and want to switch everywhere. 😀

• Rangeball
    Rangeball
    Community Member

Thanks Blake. For now, I'm largely good with the the extension in Edge and it runs well. But saw all the nice new desktop app/integration features e.g. biometrics. ;-)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Those are indeed nice new features @Rangeball :)

• MultiChr
    MultiChr
    Community Member

Would like to see a biometric support for arm devices aswell.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@MultiChr:

I am not a Windows or ARM expert, but is Windows Hello not supported there?

• apubanz
    apubanz
    Community Member

same here. I am using a Surface Pro X which is ARM based so the beta of your new 1Password 8 app does not work. Would be very cool to see you target arm64 as well for the new Platform which should not be too much work with Rust afaik.

thanks,
    Alex

• MultiChr
    MultiChr
    Community Member

@ag_ana

Yes, in the current version it is supported. But as @apubanz already said the upcoming version of 1Password does only run on x64 which cannot be emulated on ARM devices (unlike x86 apps).

• MikeT
    edited June 2021

Hi folks,

With regards to 1Password 8 for Windows Early Access, it is too early to say anything about its native support for ARM64. Currently, 1Password 8 builds are only available as x86-64 bit app.

Windows 10 on ARM can only emulate 32-bit x86 apps but support for x86-64 bit emulation is coming in a future Windows update: https://blogs.windows.com/windows-insider/2020/12/10/introducing-x64-emulation-in-preview-for-windows-10-on-arm-pcs-to-the-windows-insider-program/

As for the native ARM64 version for 1Password 8, there are a few third party libraries that are not compiled/supported on ARM64 at the moment that doesn't allow us to build an ARM app to test yet.

We will share more details when we have something ready.

This discussion has been closed.