1Password Extremely Sluggish in macOS

2»

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for the update @davegarratt! I am happy to hear that the latest beta solved the problem for you :)

• alvaro87
    alvaro87
    Community Member

Hello,

I installed latest beta but 1P unlocking it's still slow and mini doesn't behave as expected.

It also takes a lot of seconds to save a new item (beachball included).

If I quit 1P completely and reopen it, it works fine for some minutes until it starts freezing again.

Any new beta to be released soon?

Thanks.

1P 7.7.1 Beta 4.
    macOS 11.1.
    MacBook Pro 2017.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@alvaro87:

Yes, our developers are investigating this for those cases where the last beta did not seem to help, hopefully they will have a new update soon.

• philmcole
    philmcole
    Community Member

It's crazy to think that a serious usability bug that's affecting literally everyone, see multiple threads in the community, is not fixed even after 2 months. This is not acceptable! Thousands of people run 1Password in production. They need it to work. Now you let them wait an extra 5, 10, 20 seconds for it to unlock, because you can't ship a bug fix for a memory leak or whatever it is? How about changing your release schedule for important fixes?

As a long-standing 1Password customer, the development slow down of the recent years really troubles me. I don't know if you have internal struggles, maybe management changes. But I'm seriously considering switching away from 1Password if you can't even ship a bug fix release in time anymore.

This isn't directed at the nice customer support, that replies to every comment here. Take this message and tape it on the desk of your manager, which doesn't care that I need to run a memory leaking version for 2+ months. This is unacceptable.

• dannyscholten
    dannyscholten
    Community Member

Macbook pro 16" 2019
    macOS Big Sur 11.1
    Firefox 84.0.2
    1password for Mac 7.7
    1password 4.7.5.90 add-on for Firefox

After entering my main password in the app or firefox plugin, it took around 30-60 seconds to accept my password and access my passwords. In general, the apps are quite sluggish, also after accepting the password.

After installing the beta version (7.7.1), it seems to have resolved the above-mentioned issues!

• That's great to hear @dannyscholten

• guice
    guice
    Community Member

I'm in the same boat here on the freezing problems. It's becoming unusable. It's taking minutes for 1Password to respond while using the app: opening, adding, editing, saving, etc. For the past several months, it was mostly just a small hang here and there, but lately it's gotten so bad, I've had to come here to find out when the next release is coming out.

(on a side note, I just restarted it, and it seems to have improved it ... now I have a workaround).

• @guice

I'm sorry for the need to use the workaround. We're still working with this in our betas.

• guice
    guice
    Community Member

@ag_tommy Hopefully a fix comes out soon. The workaround was absolutely necessary. I was pulling my hair out - 1Password became almost entirely unusable. I'm not exaggerating, either. I would click "New" - wait ... leave to do other stuff ... come back and maybe(?) it's up and I can starting adding values. I hit save, having to wait minutes before it would save and I can use it again. Oh, and if I made a mistake or wanted to change or/add a value? Cycle all over again. All while this is happening, 1Password is unable to fill in any values on any sites. .. now factor in the 30s OTPs.... I actually had to re-do adding an OTP because of this -- 1Password froze for so long, the OTP token expired on the website, and I had to generate a new QR code.

Honestly ... I was dreading using 1Password and getting really frustrated. Thankfully, a complete shutdown and restart of 1Password seems to have allowed me to work with it again.

• That's no fun at all. Hopefully soon, we'll see the release.

• @guice @dannyscholten @philmcole @alvaro87

Would you be willing to try the current beta and help us locate any edge cases? That is, if you're continuing to experience issues. Please create a diagnostic report from your device and send it to us after encountering any issues such as unlocking and freezing.

https://support.1password.com/diagnostics

The diagnostic report doesn't include any private information like your logins, Master Password, or Secret Key:

Please send that report to support@1Password.com Be sure to include the following information with your submission.

Your user name here in the forum.
    A link to this topic. https://1password.community/discussion/117349/1password-extremely-sluggish-in-macos#latest

• Please do not post your diagnostic report to the forum. This is for your privacy and security.
      The report will be in zip format. Please send the entire file. You will receive an auto-reply from BitBot, our auto-responder. Please post the Ticket ID you receive back here.
  • guice
    guice
    Community Member

@ag_tommy I've switched to the BETA builds. As mentioned, a cold restart resolved it (temporarily?). I'll keep an eye on things to see if the issue starts back up again.

• @guice

Thank you. :chuffed: :+1:

• alvaro87
    alvaro87
    Community Member

Hello,

I'll let you know if I start having problems again :)

• fannar
    fannar
    Community Member

Installed the beta. Seems a little bit faster but still overall is 1password really sluggish. Sent report.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you @fannar! Have you received a ticket number already?

• jinux_go
    jinux_go
    Community Member
    edited February 2021

I'm experiencing the exact issue as @alvaro87 .
    The more I do "edit and save", the slower the app gets and also the bigger the app eats up the system's memory.

I could even reproduce this behavior by "edit and save" a lot of times on one item. This experiment results in using 10000+ ports and 1GB of RAM

I sent you the diagnostic report of "save and edit a lot of times".

• @jinux_go

Your description of slow response times sounds like one that our developers have been working to address. Would you be interested in giving the beta a try? They contain our latest code changes. If so, you can use this set of instructions to enable the betas.

• The betas are not available with the Mac App Store version of 1Password. If you are using that version, you would need to switch to the website version and then enable the betas.

Alternatively, you can try a complete quit of 1Password. If the performance issues return, you may need to quit 1Password completely again until we can get a new release into your hands, then repeating as needed.

• Look for our helper in the menu bar near the WiFi indicator and the clock. Right-click on the helper and select quit 1Password completely. Wait a few seconds and then open 1Password from the Dock or the Applications folder.
  • Hi everyone,

1Password 7.8 is now available from our website and contains the performance fixes that had been in the beta. If you installed the beta for the fix and want to get back on the non-beta release you can find instructions in this guide: https://support.1password.com/betas/

Thanks!

Ben

• xandarar
    xandarar
    Community Member

It is June. I've read all the messages and find that my problem was identified in Dec -- has anything changed? I have the problem of slow connecting to 1Password and sometimes the spinning beach ball -- 1P v 7.8.3, OS Big Sur 11.2.3, MacBook Air. Any suggestions?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@xandarar:

I have personally not seen additional reports since last year, as far as I can remember. Do you see the same behavior with the latest version of 1Password (7.8.5) as well?

This discussion has been closed.