Unable to login to 1password7 in MacOS as + button greyed out in Preferences.

indra
indra
Community Member

Unable to login to 1password7 in MacOS as + button greyed out in Preferences ( Sign in to your 1Password account). The master password is the same what I am using to login to 1password 7 in my iPhone.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @indra!

Is the 1Password app unlocked by the time you open the Preferences window?

• indra
    indra
    Community Member

Yes it is unlocked.

• indra
    indra
    Community Member

Also, I am not able to login to 1Password in my Mac with the master password . I am using the same master that I have created in my iPhone.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@indra:

You wrote that 1Password is unlocked, but you also said that you are "not not able to login to 1Password in my Mac with the master password". Can you confirm which one of the two it is? From what you wrote, it sounds like 1Password is not unlocked, which would explain why the Preferences are greyed out for you (you need to have the 1Password app unlocked in order to make changes to the Preferences).

• indra
    indra
    Community Member

@ag_ana:

Hi, the 1password is unlocked in my iPhone with the master password, but I am unable to login to 1Password in Mac with the same master password. When I am trying to login with the Master password in the 1password in Mac it is not accepting and stating" Password Hint: ASAL".

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@indra:

Thank you for the clarification! The way 1Password unlocks is:

• If a Primary vault exists, then it unlocks using the Master Password for that vault, regardless of what, if any, memberships are signed in
    • If a single 1Password membership is signed in, then it unlocks using the Master Password for that membership account
    • If multiple memberships are signed in, then it unlocks using the Master Password of the first added membership

These are each exclusive scenarios. For example, if multiple memberships are signed in, you cannot unlock 1Password using the Master Password of the second account that was added.

From what you are writing, it looks like you have a Primary vault on your Mac, but not on your iPhone. This is because only Primary vaults have hints, and since you are seeing a hint you configured, this suggests that a Primary vault is there.

For confirmation, do you see a Primary vault in your 1Password for iOS app on your iPhone?

• indra
    indra
    Community Member

@ag_ana
    I do not have a primary vault in iPhone or Mac. I have two vaults ( Private & Shared) which was setup by default when I signed to 1password.

• indra
    indra
    Community Member

Also I am able to use the master password and login to 1password in my iPad as well. It’s only in Mac that I am unable to login using the master password.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@indra:

Password hints are a prerogative of Primary vaults (or any other standalone vaults), so there is indeed one in your 1Password for Mac app. The fact that you don't have a Primary vault on iOS would explain why your Master Password is accepted everywhere, just not on this Mac.

If you forgot the Master Password for your Primary vault, you can reset the 1Password for Mac app on this device:

How to reset the 1Password app on a specific device

Afterwards, you will be able to add your account using the same credentials you used on iOS.

• indra
    indra
    Community Member

@ag_ana : This is to kindly inform you that the issue of logging into 1Password in my Mac has got resolved after your kind and valuable suggestions and steps towards troubleshooting the issue. Thank you and much appreciated.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

You are very welcome @indra! I am glad I could help, and that everything is working as expected now :)

If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

This discussion has been closed.