Two different chrome extensions

jcmetz21
jcmetz21
Community Member
edited March 2021 in 1Password in the Browser

I have two different 1Password chrome browser extensions installed:
1. 1Password extension (desktop app required)
2. 1Password – Password Manager

Is there a difference between the two? Should I use both? If not, which one should I use?

The first extension doesn't even show up when you search for it in the chrome web store. Perhaps it's deprecated and we should just use the second one?

I like the first one because it allows me to use the "Fill Login" keyboard shortcut (CMD + \ ). Is there a way to do that using the second extension?

1Password Version: 7.8
Extension Version: 1.23.1
OS Version: 10.15.7
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Hey @jcmetz21 ,

Indeed, we currently offer two different extensions, and while their functionality is similar (autofilling in websites), their interface and operations are quite different.

The 1Password manager extension is our newer 1Password in the browser: https://support.1password.com/getting-started-browser/
    It is a standalone extension that does not connect to the desktop app (yet) and shows up automatically inside usernames/password fields when you visit a website, making it super easy to autofill and save new logins or even generate passwords.
    We recommend using this extension because of the enhanced autofilling it provides. It does not have a keyboard shortcut to autofill because it will show up inside the fields automatically, making it unnecessary to press a keyboard shortcut.

The "1Passowrd extension (desktop app required) is our good old 1Password Classic extension. It connects to the desktop app and allows it to interact with your browser and autofill in websites. It also allows you to unlock 1Password with Touch ID and remain unlocked when you close the browser, as well as utilizing the desktop app's keyboard shortcut (CMD + / ) to autofill.
    However, this extension does not show up inside usernames/passwords and every time you need it you will have to call it manually by using the shortcut or by clicking its icon on the top right corner of your browser.
    This extension will probably not get updated anymore but it is still a valid option that you can download from our website.

We recommend having only one of these extensions enabled at a time. Having both can result in multiple saving/updating prompts which may cause user error and overwriting of important data.

• gusbus
    gusbus
    Community Member

I have a related question. I use a stand alone license on a Windows laptop. My laptop broke and I am setting up a brand new laptop. I have the 1P Windows app working fine on my standalone license. I installed what I believe is the new Chrome extension and it is forcing me to sign into my account with email, secret key and master password. Since I have a standalone license I do not have a secret key. How can I get this new Chrome extension to work?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@gusbus:

The new extension only works with 1Password Membership accounts. If you don't have an account, you need to download the classic extension from here:

Get the 1Password classic extension

The classic extension does not require a 1Password Membership and a Secret Key to be used ;)

• gusbus
    gusbus
    Community Member

Awesome thank you!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

You are welcome @gusbus! :)

• digitpass
    digitpass
    Community Member

The new extension only works with 1Password Membership accounts.

When desktop integration returns, will the new 1Password browser extension work for those without a membership? @ag_ana

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@digitpass:

The new 1Password browser extension always only supported vaults on 1Password.com, so far it has never supported standalone vaults (this was the case even before desktop integration was temporarily removed).

• jcmetz21
    jcmetz21
    Community Member

Hey @ag_yaron, thanks for the detailed response. Been using the new Password Manager chrome extension for a few days and I like it a lot. However there are two points of frustration:

1. I can't unlock 1Password in Chrome using Mac's Touch ID
    2. I'm still required to unlock the chrome extension even if the desktop app is already unlocked

Based on this thread here, it appears Touch ID integration is in the works. And point #2 is explained in your response when you say the chrome extension "is a standalone extension that does not connect to the desktop app (yet)".

So it looks like these points are being addressed but I just wanted to provide some feedback. Thanks again for all the hard work! I love the 1Password ecosystem.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Thank you kindly for the feedback @jcmetz21 .

We're all eagerly waiting for the integration feature, which would resolve both of the points you've mentioned :+1:

• digitpass
    digitpass
    Community Member

The new 1Password browser extension always only supported vaults on 1Password.com, so far it has never supported standalone vaults (this was the case even before desktop integration was temporarily removed).

@ag_ana

Yes, I understand that it wasn't supported when desktop integration was being tested before, but thought that there may be plans to merge the classic extension with the new extension, as the desktop app and new extension will soon be able to communicate directly with each other.

Thanks for confirming that both extensions will coexist going forward. :smile:

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

:chuffed: :+1:

• kbaley
    kbaley
    Community Member

I like the new extension in general but I'm also missing a couple of use cases:

• Integration with Launchbar is nicer with the older extension. Previously, it would open the website and fill in the password in one operation straight from Launchbar. Now it will open the website but I need to do a couple of extra clicks and keystrokes to complete the sign in process
    • Related to that, with the new extension, when I launch a website, I need to click in the login box first before I can down arrow to the 1Password entry. It's a minor thing and many websites are nice enough to give focus to the relevant field when you load it but for those that don't, the keyboard extension was nice enough to fill in the information regardless of what had focus on the page.

I admit the second point is nitpicky and there's an element of "who moved my cheese". It's not the end of the world for me to click into the field first and I use Vimium, so I can still do it with the keyboard regardless.

• Farfalho
    Farfalho
    Community Member

Thank you for creating this thread. Helped me resolve my issue with having the 1Password X extension instead the one which works in tandem with the desktop app.

• I am happy you found the answer you were looking for @Farfalho Let us know if you run into any further difficulties, and we'll do our best to help.

• FogCityNative
    FogCityNative
    Community Member

I am still confused. You guys say I must choose between 1Password (in the browser) and the 1Password Classic Extension. You guys say don't use both, but if I only use the new In The Browser 1Password, I no long have 1Password in my system menu bar and I NEED THAT FOR ACCESSING 1PASSWORD WHEN NOT ACTUALLY LOGGING IN OR CREATING A LOG IN.

How can I have both?? If I launch the desktop app, I'll get 1Password in the system menu bar, but it doesn't persist. If I go to 1Password in the menu bar I get an unwanted nag to remove 1Password and install 1Password classic.

I WANT THE FUNCTIONALITY OF BOTH. How can I get what I want easily without nags??

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@FogCityNative:

You guys say don't use both, but if I only use the new In The Browser 1Password, I no long have 1Password in my system menu bar and I NEED THAT FOR ACCESSING 1PASSWORD WHEN NOT ACTUALLY LOGGING IN OR CREATING A LOG IN.

I have this configuration on my device (1Password in the browser and the desktop app), and I can still use 1Password in the system menu bar. The extension you use does not matter for that, you just need to have the 1Password desktop app installed (since 1Password mini is coming from the desktop app, not from the extension).

• caebrasil
    caebrasil
    Community Member

Thanks for the clarification about the difference between both extensions!

My concern with the new extension (using 1passowrd.com) is about security, more specifically keyloggers. I need to digit my password constantly, and if I clean up cache/cookies, I need to fill all login data again constantly.

For this reason, I feel more secure filling my login on the standalone software than a browser.

Is it makes sense?
    Will we have a connection with the software soon?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@caebrasil:

Will we have a connection with the software soon?

Yes, our developers are working on this :) You can read some more details here, if you are curious:

Temporarily removing Desktop App Integration

• caebrasil
    caebrasil
    Community Member

Thanks, @ag_ana. Good to know.
    I will have a look at the link.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

You are welcome @caebrasil! If you have any questions, please let us know :)

• @FrodoBaggins

It sounds like you may need to re-establish communication between 1Password and your browser:

1. Quit 1Password by holding down the Control and Option keys on your keyboard and choose 1Password > Quit 1Password Completely from the menu bar beside the  logo.
    2. Quit Chrome.
    3. Open and unlock 1Password.
    4. Open Chrome and make sure 1Password is working there.
  • riccphoto
    riccphoto
    Community Member

I was kinda forced to reconnect as well, which is not nice. But at least the "older" version still works and supports touch id, which the new one does NOT!!!

Very disappointing to break functionality, forcing people on macos to use a version with less features...

I am very worried waiting for the new 1password 8...

Nevertheless, I need to know. Will you add Touch ID to the new 1password version as well?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@riccphoto:

The new extension already supports Touch ID :) Make sure you have integration with the desktop app enabled in order to activate the feature:

• riccphoto
    riccphoto
    Community Member

Oh, thanks it didn't work only after I restarted. Will there be a new version also for safari or only chrome and firefox?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@riccphoto:

The extension supports Touch ID in all browsers, including Safari already :+1:

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

To clarify, the new extension in Safari (entitled "1Password for Safari" in the Mac App Store) will work with Touch ID only if you have 1Password 8 beta installed, and will not work with 1Password 7.

If you use 1Password 7, stick to the regular Safari extension that is bundled with the 1Password 7 desktop app and remove "1Password for Safari" from your Applications folder.

• BoyWhoAsksWhyNot
    BoyWhoAsksWhyNot
    Community Member

I'm a Password 7 user for now, as I value having a personal vault. I'd like to use it universally on Mac and Windows, but I can't seem to find it for Windows. Have I missed something extremely obvious?

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member

Hi @BoyWhoAsksWhyNot !

but I can't seem to find it for Windows

Here you can find downloads for older versions:
    https://app-updates.agilebits.com

• BoyWhoAsksWhyNot
    BoyWhoAsksWhyNot
    Community Member

Cool, thanks DB! I guess my question was less complete than it should have been. My problem seems to arise from the fact that my chrome profile syncs - i.e., all browser addons and settings sync cross-platform on Chrome. So it seems that I need to have a browser plugin that will function with 1Password 7 on Mac and 1Password?? on Windows. I currently have 8.5 on Windows, and would prefer to keep that, but if that's not possible how can I find which version of 1Pass will allow me to use the same browser addon cross-platform like this?

This discussion has been closed.