To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Private vault question?

jeffdrake
jeffdrake
Community Member
edited June 2021 in Memberships

I'm new, so please bear with me.

My family account is just for me and my wife.

I created a vault for my wife with her name, and I have been using the default "Private" vault for my items.

I would like, just for clarity's sake, for each of us to have vaults with our names. So I want to create another vault with my name, then move all the Private vault passwords to the vault with my name. This will essentially leave the Private vault empty. I understand I cannot change the name of the Private vault, nor delete it.

Are there any issues with his approach?

Thanks!

1Password Version: 7.7.807
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10 and Android
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @jeffdrake!

There are no issues with this approach, but please keep in mind that the Private vault is a special one: only you have access to the items inside it, and the vault cannot be shared. If you create a new vault though, this could be shared, and other account administrators could add themselves permissions to access these items. If it's just you and your wife this might not be a problem for you, just something to keep in mind because of how permissions work in a 1Password account :+1:

• jeffdrake
    jeffdrake
    Community Member

Thanks for the info. My wife may need to access my passwords occasionally, so having another vault with my name where she is an administrator sounds like a viable option.

• jeffdrake
    jeffdrake
    Community Member

Uh, does this mean that only the person who created the account (me) can access the Private password vault? I created a vault for my wife, but you're saying she can't look at what's in Private?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@jeffdrake:

That's correct, your Private vault is only accessible by you, and your wife's Private vault is only accessible by her. If you create new vaults though, you can change their permissions as you see fit (including allowing both of you to access the contents).

• jeffdrake
    jeffdrake
    Community Member

Thanks!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

You are welcome @jeffdrake! If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

This discussion has been closed.