Yubikey TouchID Weird Behaviour

bluepanda
bluepanda
Community Member

Hi there,
I am a 1Password user for years and can absolutely not live without your app.

That said, I have recently identified what seems like a bug that is **extremely annoying ** when combining the YubiKey, 1Password and a Macbook Pro M1 with Touch ID.

In short, after logging into my MacOS account with a PIN (As I have a Yubikey configured for this), if I leave the Yubikey in the USB port, as intended, what happens is that when I open 1Password I only have to scan my fingerprint with TouchID and my 1Password vault is unlocked. Nice and easy, no password written, hooray!

HOWEVER, the issue comes when I remove my Yubikey after logging into my MacOS account. If I do so, 1Password seems to lock itself and then attempts to unlock with my Apple Watch, something it stops trying after just 1 second and then requests the password.

What appears to happen is that it does not even try with the watch, since the watch doesn't display the notification and it only attemps for a second, when it's normal that it'll take a few.

Further, after this happens, even if I write the password of the vault in 1Password, it'll refuse to use Touch ID moving forward, fully greying out this option until I reboot my laptop or switch the "Unlock my mac" option in Touch ID control panel on and then off.

Can we please fix this?

1Password Version: 7.8.5
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 11.4
Sync Type: 1Password Cloud

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @bluepanda!

I have reached out to the rest of the team to see if someone has both a Yubikey and Apple Watch to test this, and see if we can reproduce this :+1:

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@bluepanda:

I have heard back from the developers, and I was told that the Yubikey does not interact with the Mac app at all, so it is unlikely that what you are seeing is related to that. We have not been able to reproduce this behavior so far.

• bluepanda
    bluepanda
    Community Member

Well but the key interacts with TouchID which then interacts with 1Password, no?

• @bluepanda,

No. 1Password exclusively interacts with Apple's Touch ID API directly.

This discussion has been closed.