Step-by-Step Guide to Browser Setup

andrewjcohen
andrewjcohen
Community Member
edited June 2021 in 1Password in the Browser

I direct IT for a medium-sized nonprofit organization. We've set up over a hundred users on 1Password. We often do a screen share and step them through the process. We find that one of the trickiest pieces is getting the browser configured correctly. It takes a variety of steps to ensure that another technology isn't also trying to auto-fill. In addition to making sure Chrome passwords are exported and imported into 1P, you need to ensure 1Password is set as the default password manager. Old stored passwords needed to be removed (sometimes from their synced Google account). Cookies sometimes need to be deleted. And often a browser reboot is required. Additional steps are required to makes sure pre-fill is set up correctly on their phone. Even then, more troubleshooting may be required to get it working consistently. I'm not sure my support staff are always leaves the user in a fully-configured state. And sometimes, settings revert, particularly when the browser plug-in is updated.

Does 1Passaord have a standard set-up checklist somewhere that would help my team make sure we've completed all necessary steps?

1Password Version: 7.8.5
Extension Version: 2.021
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Cloud

Comments

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

Hey @andrewjcohen 👋

That's such a great question! Our business onboarding team did have a document regarding what to do as a new team member joining a 1Password account. I'm hoping that'll help you out here, but let me know if you're looking for something different.

• andrewjcohen
    andrewjcohen
    Community Member

Hi @kaitlyn Thanks for this helpful response. This is pretty much the script we follow. However, what I was looking for was a more detailed checklist regarding configuring Chrome (it's usually Chrome) to make sure that it's all tidy. For example, we find it helpful to delete all saved passwords, which can be tricky if you don't change the time range to "All time." We've figured out most things through a series of trial and error. And even after dozens of installs, we still run into the unexpected. Was hoping for a more detailed troubleshooting reference, if it exists.

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

@andrewjcohen – Hmm, I don't think we have exactly what you're looking for. I generally give out Chrome's guide for deleting passwords (see the Show, edit, delete, or export saved passwords section).

Enabling the 'Make 1Password the default password manager' setting in 1Password in your browser will automatically disable the browser's built-in password manager. However, you will still need to delete previously saved passwords in Chrome, like you mentioned.

• andrewjcohen
    andrewjcohen
    Community Member

I appreciate the resources, @kaitlyn!

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

My pleasure! :+1:

This discussion has been closed.