Your 1password data is in use by another copy of 1Password. (I have a clone attached.)

markbot
markbot
Community Member

Dear Helpers,

If I go here: https://support.1password.com/extra-copies-found/
It says: "Extra copies of the 1Password app on attached backup drives can cause the same problems as copies on your startup drive."

Well, that's not nice. I have a clone attached so there's the "extra" copy.

I'm running 1Password off my computer's drive. Why does the mere presence of the app on a clone muss things up?

And what can I do to remedy the problem? For now, I've trashed the 1Password.app on the Clone, but that seems inelegant. It will simply be put back when I refresh the clone. (via SuperDuper!)

Thank you in advance.

-Mark

P.S. I hope it's not quite as hot in Canada as it is in the lower 48.

1Password Version: 7.8.5
Extension Version: 2.0.2
OS Version: macOS 10.15.7
Sync Type: 1Password.com I guess

Comments

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator

It's possible to set up your cloning so that 1P is not copied over. That's the best solution as the issue is with Apple, not 1PW. When a program is launched, if there are several copies, the wrong one may get launched and there is nothing that can be done about this. This can happen for any program, but with 1PW the issue can actually cause problems.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@markbot:

danco is correct, our recommendation is to exclude the 1Password app from the backup (data is stored separately from the app anyway). This article has some more details on this behavior, in case you are curious:

If you see “extra copies of 1Password found”

• markbot
    markbot
    Community Member

OK, Got it! Easy fix. Thank you.

But wait. New problem. I see the URL for this site has changed since I was last here:

https://1password.community/entry/signin

So I changed it in 1Password. But if I try to autofill my login credentials with 1Password, it doesn't put them in the fields, it just creates a new tab with that same address. Does this over and over.

I tried duplicating the entry, but that didn't help. Kind of ironic, 1Password autofill works everywhere but here.

I have to cut and paste the login and password to get in.

Any thoughts or ideas?

-Mark

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@markbot:

Does the same thing happen if you create a fresh Login item for the website?

How to save a Login manually in your browser

• markbot
    markbot
    Community Member

Dear ag_ana,

Thank you, but the problem persists even with a manual login saved.

I also notice some new behavior with Firefox, a small 1Password icon placed in the right hand side of the login and password fields. Is that new? I don't remember seeing it before.

Very perplexing.

Any ideas as to what I should try next?

-Mark

• markbot
    markbot
    Community Member

Add on note:

I removed the 1Password extension from Firefox 88 and reloaded it. No joy.

When I click the 1Password icon in my toolbar, I cannot Autofill any logins. Firefox simply reloads the login page in a new tab.

But when I click in the login field, for example, a 1Password icon appears in the right side of the field, and the login id appears in a dropdown window just below it.

Same with the password field.

This seems like new behavior. Is it?

-Mark

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@markbot:

I also notice some new behavior with Firefox, a small 1Password icon placed in the right hand side of the login and password fields. Is that new? I don't remember seeing it before.

This is the behavior of the new 1Password in the browser extension. From what you are saying, it sounds like you were using the classic extension before. Please see this page for some details on the latest extension:

Get started with 1Password in your browser

But when I click in the login field, for example, a 1Password icon appears in the right side of the field, and the login id appears in a dropdown window just below it.

This is the correct behavior with the new extension. If you would like to keep using 1Password mini, you need to install the classic extension instead:

Get the 1Password classic extension

• markbot
    markbot
    Community Member

Dear ag_ana,

Thank you, but now I'm more confused than ever.

Right now in Firefox, my 1Password extension is v. 4.7.5.90.

I'm guessing that that's the "classic" extension which I accidentally reloaded, because Autofill is working on my logins the way it used to.

But if you look here on Mozilla's Firefox 1Password add-on:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1password-x-password-manager/

It says version 2.0.2

Is 2.0.2 the new extension or the classic? Or something else?

If you folks are moving away from the "classic" extension, I'll go with the new one, and get it from the link you provided above. Do I have to uninstall the existing 1Password extension first, or does the installer do that?

Do you have a version number for the new one?

Again, thank you.

-Mark

P.S. Is there any other documentation to the new extension, besides the link you gave me? I usually get up to speed faster if there's documentation.

• Hi @markbot

This is the current extension: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1password-x-password-manager/
    As of writing v2.0.2 is the latest version for Firefox. I would recommend uninstalling the classic extension before installing it. The classic extension is no longer being developed, so the newer extension is the way to go. We have some additional information you may find helpful here:

Ben

• markbot
    markbot
    Community Member

OK, got it, thank you, Ben. -Mark

• You're most welcome. :) If we can be of further assistance, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Ben

• markbot
    markbot
    Community Member

FYI for every 1Password user (such as me) who didn't 'get the memo' about browser extensions: the current browser extension (for Firefox), version 2.0.2, was once known as 1Password X. I know 1Password X has been around for a while, but I was always OK with "classic" so I never bothered to try it. You'll notice that on the Mozilla URL, it still refers to the "1password-x-password-manager."

The "classic" extension is eventually going to be phased out, from what the helpers here have indicated. Fortunately for me, the new extension seems to work very well; if anything it is a bit easier to use than "classic." But I get it, sometimes adjusting to change in workflow is hard.

Going back to the origin of this discussion:

Although I have removed the 1Password app from my Clone, I still occasionally get the message about "1Password data is in use by another copy of 1Password." If I quit and restart, it usually works again.

I've scoured my boot drive and can only find the one copy of the app. Is it possible that the "other copy" is on a Time Machine drive?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@markbot:

I've scoured my boot drive and can only find the one copy of the app. Is it possible that the "other copy" is on a Time Machine drive?

This is likely the case, probably from an old backup you took before you excluded the 1Password app :+1:

This discussion has been closed.