Autofill option does not work in Safari

Options
TatiPatti
TatiPatti
Community Member
edited April 2021 in Mac

Hi,

The "autofill" in Safari stopped working when I upgraded from Catalina to Big Sur. However, in Chrome (Version 89.0.4389.128 / extension version 4.7.5.90) and Firefox (78.9.0esr / extension version 4.7.5.90) it still works without any problems.

For the Safari, I've tried the following:

1. Downloaded 1P from website to have it handy (it was bought as a stand-alone from the website)
  2. Disabled the Safari extension
  3. Quit 1P completely
  4. Trashed it in the bin
  5. Emptied bin
  6. Closed all browsers
  7. Restarted computer (MacBook Pro)
  8. Before opening any browsers, I installed again the 1P
  9. Followed the instructions and updated 1P from the Dropbox backup
  10. Opened Safari to enable the extension
  11. And tried again the "autofill" with no success.

I've tried this many times based on some comments I found here and there, but unfortunately, it doesn't work. The inline is disabled and this happens to all websites all the time.

Also, the "open and fill" option does not work either.

Any thoughts?

Best,
Tatiana

1Password Version: 7.8.1
Extension Version: Safari 7.8.1
OS Version: macOS Big Sur 11.2.3
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @TatiPatti!

I've tried this many times based on some comments I found here and there, but unfortunately, it doesn't work. The inline is disabled and this happens to all websites all the time.

What happens if you click on the browser extension in Safari instead?

• TatiPatti
    TatiPatti
    Community Member
    edited April 2021
    Options

Hi @ag_ana,

Thanks for the quick reply.

Nothing happens if I click on the browser extension; the autofill still doesn't work.

• thirdgrader
    thirdgrader
    Community Member
    Options

I think I'm having the same issue. The menu pops-up/drops-down, but it won't unlock. I can't enter a password, even if the app is unlocked. The browser extension is installed, although the mini-menu seems to believe otherwise.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@TatiPatti:

It sounds like something is stuck. Can you try these troubleshooting steps and see if they help?

If 1Password isn’t working in your browser

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@thirdgrader:

I think you might actually be experiencing something different, since in your case the menu actually opens. In the other case, the extension is unresponsive.

In your case, what happens when you simply refresh the page when the inline menu shows unlocked? Does it unlock automatically after refreshing the page?

• TatiPatti
    TatiPatti
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_ana

I've tried all those things before I posted here; writing here was my last resort.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@TatiPatti:

In this case, I would like to ask you to generate a diagnostics report from your Mac and email it to us to support+forum@agilebits.com, so we can take a closer look at why this is happening to you.

After you have sent the email, please feel free to post the ticket number you received so we can locate your message and connect it with this forum discussion.

Looking forward to your message!

• TatiPatti
    TatiPatti
    Community Member
    edited April 2021
    Options

@ag_ana

I've created the report, but in the instructions the link of the email address is support+mac@1password.com (even though it shows only support@1password.com). I realized that I didn't send it to the email you asked, because I haven't received a ticket number.

In the email, I've put the link of this discussion.

Should I send the report again in the email you posted?

Apologies for the confusion.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@TatiPatti:

Thank you! No need to send it again, I confirm that I have managed to locate your diagnostics report in our system :+1: We receive all emails regardless of what you put after the "+" sign ;)

We will take a look and someone will get back to your email as soon as possible.

Thank you for your patience!

ref: NAS-76713-322

• TatiPatti
    TatiPatti
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_ana

Excellent! Thank you for your quick reply! Looking forward to hearing from you soon! :)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You are very welcome :)

• TatiPatti
    TatiPatti
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_ana

After exchanging a couple of emails with the 1P support team, Joy told me to try the following, which worked like a charm:

1. Open Safari.
    2. Go to Safari's preferences -> Advanced -> Enable the "Show the develop menu in the menu bar" option.
    3. Click the "Develop" menu on the top menu bar of your Mac and navigate to "Experimental Features" -> Scroll to the bottom and select "Reset all to defaults".
    4. Test 1Password in Safari and see if things work correctly.

After that, my usual workflow went back to normal, and now, the autofill not only fills the email and passwords, but also the 2FA!

1Password, you are an excellent support team! Thank you for your help, quick replies, and fantastic results!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You are welcome @TatiPatti! And thank you for the update, I am glad to hear that resetting things helped :)

If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

• GeorgeMarkle
    GeorgeMarkle
    Community Member
    Options

Whew! Thank you! "Reset all to defaults" did it for me, This has been driving me nuts for months and I had gone on to Firefox and Chrome. Now I can use Safari again.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thank you for the update @GeorgeMarkle, I am glad to hear that this helped :)

• dtb
    dtb
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_ana I am having the same issue--navigated to Big Sur and nothing will autofill. I tried the steps outlined above by @TatiPatti but when I get to "Experimental Features" everything including the "reset all to defaults" is in grayscale and I can't select anything.

Any ideas?

• dtb
    dtb
    Community Member
    Options

okay, for some reason the grayscale went away and was able to select "reset all to defaults" but it didn't seem to fix the issue

• mickl
    mickl
    Community Member
    Options

Same issue and unfortunately resetting to defaults didn't help.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@dtb:

What version of the 1Password app are you currently using?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thank you for the update @mickl! I am glad to hear that this other discussion helped :)

• TACaddick
    TACaddick
    Community Member
    edited August 2021
    Options

Hello all, I’m experiencing some difficulty with 1Password Mini on my wife’s 2013 MacBook Air.

Integration with Safari is broken. Clicking on the 1Password extension does nothing. Accessing 1Password Mini via the Mac’s menu bar works, as long as Safari is NOT running!

Details:

MacOS Mojave 10.14 (this can't be upgraded because of a need for running some legacy applications)

Safari 12.0 (14606.1.36.1.9)

1Password (up to date with the latest version)

I’ve tried (amost?) everything! Quitting apps and restarting them, restarting the Mac, even uninstalling and reinstalling 1Password… this issue persists!

I can’t use the option to reset developer defaults, as that is not available in this version of Safari.

I'd appreciate any help that you can offer...

Thanks!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@TACaddick:

I would like to ask you to generate a diagnostics report from your Mac and email it to us to support+forum@agilebits.com, so we can take a closer look at why this is happening to you.

After you have sent the email, please feel free to post the ticket number you received so we can locate your message and connect it with this forum discussion.

Looking forward to your message!

• TACaddick
    TACaddick
    Community Member
    Options

Hello, thanks for your response. I've done as you suggested: the case number is [#LUG-99982-339].

• ag_tommy
    edited August 2021
    Options

@TACaddick

I found your submission and replied to it. I hope it helps. Please reply via email if you have any questions.

Edit: Replied a second time with other possible suggestions. :)

ref: #LUG-99982-339

This discussion has been closed.