Custom Icons are not yet implemented in 1Password 8 [Viewing available in nightly]

Manaburner
Manaburner
Community Member

Hey there,
I do have a lot of credit cards and bank accounts. So to be able to distinguish them easier, I did at logos to all of them. Those logos do not display in the early access version.

P.S. I like the new design :)

1Password Version: 8.1.0-45.BETA
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• MikeT
    edited June 2021

Hi @Manaburner,

Thanks for coming in and giving this a try. It's been a while!

Custom icons are not yet implemented for 1Password 8, it is on our list and I'll added your request to it.

ref: dev/core/core#1301

P.S. I like the new design :)

Glad to hear it!

• Manaburner
    Manaburner
    Community Member

Hi @MikeT
    yes, long time no see :)

OK thank you for the clarification. I almost thought so and was looking for a "known issues" page but could not find one.

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member

Hopefully custom icons come back soon. :+1:

• OK thank you for the clarification. I almost thought so and was looking for a "known issues" page but could not find one.

There isn't one, we'd love to know the first things that you've missed, so we can adjust our development plans.

Hopefully custom icons come back soon. :+1:

It'd be slightly just faster now that we know at least the first two requests are the custom icons.

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member

Great! :+1:

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member

It'd be slightly just faster now that we know at least the first two requests are the custom icons.

You mean "first three" ;) (i.e., +1 for me)

• 😁😁

Ben

• Chaza218
    Chaza218
    Community Member

Just to add my voice to this, yes custom icons are sorely needed please!

If it could also be added to the web version....... :)

• Thanks for chiming in! 😊

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member

Actually I don't have my custom rich icons also not for logins... In the browser extension all custom icons are there, but in 1Password v8 there are no custom icons for me. :neutral:

• Any and all custom icons are not supported in 1Password 8 for Windows yet, as Mike mentioned earlier in the thread.

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member

Ok. So I misunderstood... I thought I read that only logins are using custom icons in the early access version. Sorry. My vault. ;)

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member

I downgraded to v7 stable, but my custom icons are still gone...

(on Windows; I still see them on iOS)

• No worries, it can be difficult to see the difference between Custom Icons and Rich Icons.

Rich Icons are downloaded from our Rich Icons service in a secure and private way but they're not a part of your items because it uses your item's website field to figure out which icon to get and it is the same icon for everyone.

Custom icons are encrypted image you've attached and stored as part of your items, so they work differently. We have to implement support for Custom Icons by downloading the encrypted blobs from your items and then decrypt and load it into the view, so it is a bit more complicated then Rich Icons.

We've only just started to support file attachments within last month as you may recall from our Linux releases, so that work will go well with supporting Custom Icons as well.

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member

We've only just started to support file attachments within last month as you may recall from our Linux releases, so that work will go well with supporting Custom Icons as well.

Great to hear that! I'll stay with the early access version of v8 to help improve and fixing things. :+1:

• Great to hear that! I'll stay with the early access version of v8 to help improve and fixing things. :+1:

Awesome, thanks for your help, we'll definitely appreciate it!

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member

No worries, it can be difficult to see the difference between Custom Icons and Rich Icons.

The difference is (visually) very clear to me: the rich icon service uses an outdated logo for one of our customers, so I have been using their Twitter avatar as a custom icon.

However, after downgrading from 8 to 7 I still see their old logo (on Windows) on items related to their passwords.

• MikeT
    edited June 2021

the rich icon service uses an outdated logo for one of our customers, so I have been using their Twitter avatar as a custom icon.

Is it possible to let us know which one? I can try to get it updated.

However, after downgrading from 8 to 7 I still see their old logo (on Windows) on items related to their passwords.

It is the same service for all 1Password apps regardless of versions. We have not made any changes to Rich Icons in general.

Or as DenalB may have pointed out, is it that you don't see Custom Icons?

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member

I also had this situation sometimes after installing an update or removing and reinstalling 1Password. After complete shutdown of 1Password and the browser and reopening it, my custom icons came back - slowly, but they came back.

• I also had this situation sometimes after installing an update or removing and reinstalling 1Password. After complete shutdown of 1Password and the browser and reopening it, my custom icons came back - slowly, but they came back.

Oh, that's a good point, I may have misunderstood.

1Password 7 do queue up file requests whenever there is an initial sync or a reinstall sometime, where it will wait until things are quiet before it starts processing the downloads to store the custom icon blobs in your local database to load.

• LockhartGardner
    LockhartGardner
    Community Member
    edited June 2021

On 1PW 7, I could see my uploaded icons, and also have the ability to upload new ones. Please incorporate this feature on 1PW 8.

1Password Version: 8.1.0-50.NIGHTLY
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: Windows 10
    Sync Type: Membership

• johnnysheppard
    johnnysheppard
    Community Member

I've also noticed this seems to be missing. Is it something that will appear at some point?

• johnnysheppard
    johnnysheppard
    Community Member

Thanks - that's great to know. Hopefully, it will be bumped up the list of things to do. It's surprising how much they are missed :)

• johnnysheppard
    johnnysheppard
    Community Member

Hi - I thought I'd add my voice requesting support for custom Icons :)

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member

It was the first issue which was reported. So it should have a higher priority. :)

• Hi folks, I've merged both threads to have a single thread about the custom icons.

• LockhartGardner
    LockhartGardner
    Community Member

Great! Didn't notice there was an existing thread for this. Loving the new design!

• I'm glad to hear you're loving the look of the new 1Password, @LockhartGardner! We're thrilled to be sharing this Early Access with the world, and looking
    forward to this being the best 1Password yet. :smile:

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member

Actually, I’m thinking about switching back to 1PW7 because I miss my custom icons so much. I changed more than 400 icons and there will be more every day. But I have to add them with the help of my old laptop. There 1PW7 is installed. But the hardest thing is that I‘m not able to see my newly added icons… :-1:

This discussion has been closed.