How can I stop 1P-Windows/Mini from opening on startup?

As in the screenshot, I chose to not start 1P when I sign in; however, it seems to start anyway as the 1P Mini icon appears in my tray. As I use the Chrome extension, I don't see any value to Mini or for the Windows app for that matter. I'll uninstall them entirely, unless you can tell me why they're essential.

Next, when I inadvertently used Mini to edit a login, it started suggesting passwords and ended up using it's suggestion and overwrote my password, Is there a way to recover the previous password, and prevent 1P from suggesting passwords, which is another feature I find of no value. I did not take an action to use the suggested password. Now I have neither that one or the "real" one. Thanks.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• jimmyweg
    jimmyweg
    Community Member

Okay! I found my previous password by accessing 1P on my Android, where I found a list of previous passwords. Thank you for that feature. Is that list available from the Chrome extension?

• Hi @jimmyweg 👋

As in the screenshot, I chose to not start 1P when I sign in; however, it seems to start anyway as the 1P Mini icon appears in my tray.

This is likely due to the fact that you have 1Password in your Browser installed, which communicates with 1Password for Windows. This will cause 1Password for Windows to start whenever your browser also starts, in order to obtain a connection with the app.

I found my previous password by accessing 1P on my Android, where I found a list of previous passwords. Thank you for that feature. Is that list available from the Chrome extension?

You can access your previously used passwords within 1Password for Windows by clicking "previously used passwords" found underneath your items information. This feature is not available within 1Password in your Browser at this time.

• jimmyweg
    jimmyweg
    Community Member

Thanks. I've used the Chrome extension for a long time, and always had 1P/Windows installed, too. However, it was not until the extension updated to 2.x that this phenomenon seemed to have started. Maybe I'm confused, but should I remove the beta and the 1P 4.7x extensions as seen in the screen shot. I was using the beta earlier?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@jimmyweg:

Yes, you don't need to keep three extensions, if you want to keep using the beta, you can keep only that one installed :+1:

• jimmyweg
    jimmyweg
    Community Member
    edited June 2021

I first kept only the beta. Then, I couldn't open 1P from the extension. as it sat and spun while trying to load. I added back the release version version. After a reboot, the release version is the one installed per the icon's settings and works. However, my Chrome extension page shows both the beta and release. So it seems that the beta won't work. Is there way to fix that issue so I can run the beta only? The Windows 4x extension is gone, but I don't know why I would need it.

I also didn't have the issue with 1P Windows running in the tray until you released 2.0. I apparently need 1P Windows to accomplish certain tasks.

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member

Hi @jimmyweg !

It looks strange... Maybe you should remove all 1Password extensions from the browser and only install the beta version. I'm running the beta version together with the Windows desktop app and have no problems. ;)

• jimmyweg
    jimmyweg
    Community Member

Thanks. I did that and the beta now works. I will say that 2.x is a little less responsive that earlier versions. It doesn't open as quickly. And I still don't fully understand why 1P Windows opens every time I start my system, as it did not in pre-2.x versions as I recall, and it doesn't matter whether I disable such opening in the 1P Windows settings (as in pic in OP).

• Hi @jimmyweg 👋

Can you clarify what you mean about how 1Password in your Browser is now less responsive? I haven't personally experienced this, but I know our development team would love to know what you're seeing there.

• jimmyweg
    jimmyweg
    Community Member

Sure. It doesn't open as quickly as the previous versions. Pervious versions opened "instantly." 2.x doesn't, but the lag between click and open really is insignificant.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@jimmyweg:

Do you have a short video that shows this, so we understand how much time this is taking for you?

• jimmyweg
    jimmyweg
    Community Member

I haven't had a chance to capture a video, but hope to do so tomorrow. However, I attached a screenshot of an issue that presents every so often (every few days). It occurs after the extension locks 1P after a period of time. When it happens, I open 1P/Windows from the tray and log in to iP. Thereafter, the extension opens. Also, I'm still unclear as to why 1P/Windows opens when I log in to Win 10, despite the fact that I elected to have it not open automatically. This did not occur before 2.x.

• Hey there @jimmyweg, I'm wondering if this is happening due to the new browser integration feature that we introduced in 1Password in your browser version 2, that let's 1Password in the browser integrate and share its lockstate with the desktop app - clicking the extension icon will call the desktop app up to handle the unlock, thus waking up/starting the desktop app.

To test and see if this is the case, could you try disabling the browser integration feature, and let me know how you fare? Here's how to do it:

1. Open your browser, right-click the 1Password icon, and click Settings.
    2. Scroll to the General heading, and disable Integrate with 1Password app.

Thanks, I look forward to hearing how it goes! :smile:

• jimmyweg
    jimmyweg
    Community Member

Thanks, that seemed to work! Actually, I found the setting by opening the extension and clicking the "gear" icon (Settings). Now, as expected, 1PW no longer opens with Windows, which is what I prefer. I still can open it directly when needed.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for the update @jimmyweg! That is nice to hear :)

This discussion has been closed.