Autofill Installed Mac App

r2d2
r2d2
Community Member

Hi, how do I add app details to allow autofill to login for a non-browser app. For example, I use fluid https://www.fluidapp.com/ to turn asana into a Mac app. When I typed the autofill shortcut, it tries to look it up. Please see the attached screenshot.

1Password Version: 7.6
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.14.6
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @r2d2!

1Password cannot fill in apps, it can only fill on websites. With desktop apps, it can currently only suggest logins, but not fill them. Sorry!

• bwaz
    bwaz
    Community Member

The app is then of very limited value.

• bwaz
    bwaz
    Community Member

Just tried it autofill on web version and got no auto fill,

• bilan
    bilan
    Community Member

It should be possible with macOS Big Sur, shouldn’t it ?
    By the way, I try to watch the video you’ve posted on your blog about this feature. https://blog.1password.com/autofill-on-big-sur/
    But I cannot. Am I the only one ?

• ag_matthew
    ag_matthew
    1Password Alumni

@bilan, the "AutoFill on macOS Big Sur" video is a preview of an unreleased feature, which our development team made at the end of WWDC. AutoFill for Apps will hopefully be available later this year.

(Both macOS Big Sur and our development tools are still being changed by Apple, so we can't give any guarantees about how or when the feature will work)

Matthew

• ag_matthew
    ag_matthew
    1Password Alumni

The app is then of very limited value.

@bwaz I'm sorry to hear you feel that way. macOS doesn't - yet - support AutoFill for apps. This will be coming with macOS Big Sur later this year.

Personally, I haven't found that much of an impedance, because apps remember their login credentials better than websites do. It's rare for me to login to an app.

While you wait for official "AutoFill in Apps" support, you can still copy from 1Password and paste into apps. You may also be able to drag-and-drop usernames and passwords from 1Password into apps, depending on the app.

• nesl247
    nesl247
    Community Member

Is there any update for this? We're nearly a year later, with a newly announced version of macOS around the corner (June WWDC), and yet this feature still hasn't been released.

• Hi @nesl247

I don't have new information to share at this time; sorry. We'd still very much like to get autofill integration for 1Password for Mac but as my colleague Matthew mentioned I couldn't make any specific promises.

Ben

• vtbassmatt
    vtbassmatt
    Community Member
    edited March 2021

Hey 1Password team, I'd like to weigh in. Due to recent high-profile security incidents, my company is now 2FA-ing me per-app, twice a day. If I get up and do a bit of work before the kids awaken and then do a bit more work in the evening, I get password prompts twice a day in each of Outlook, OneNote, Teams, and various websites. On the websites, it's no big deal since I'm a Cmd-\ away from autofilling my password. Granted I'm not on Big Sur yet (our security software depends on a kext that isn't supported... sigh...) but I will be soon.

Small thought: if you can't autofill, can you at least filter by the app name? My current workflow is:
    1. Get a login prompt
    2. Cmd-\
    3. See that "microsoftoutlook" was sent as the app name, but no results are returned
    4. Click into the search
    5. Type "employer-name", see that correct account is returned
    6. Copy password
    7. Paste password

If 1Password would automate the lookup, that would fix step 3 and eliminate steps 4 and 5. (I tried putting "microsoftoutlook" as a website on the entry, but it didn't do anything. Maybe I did something wrong and there's a way to make this work already?)

• ag_tommy
    edited March 2021

@vtbassmatt

If you're comfortable trying Script Editor.app you can paste this in and replace Finder with whichever application you're looking for (if it doesn't recognize the name it'll prompt you to pick it). If you hit the play button at the top you should end up with a Result.

id of application "Finder"

The add this as the website address. app:// + the id from your application Hopefully this will get you closer to looking at what you're intent on doing. It will not fill the app, but the result will be returned for you.

• vtbassmatt
    vtbassmatt
    Community Member
    edited March 2021

@ag_tommy thank you - that would be a major quality of life improvement! (Until you get fill-in-app and I get Big Sur, of course :) )

Responses like this make me glad to continue subscribing, and I really appreciate it.

In case it helps anyone else, the one-liner goes like this: echo app://$(osascript -e "id of application \"Finder\"")

• @vtbassmatt

Thanks, we're glad to have you are part of the family.

• TOMillr
    TOMillr
    Community Member

Any news regarding support for the macOS AutoFill api?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@TOMillr:

Our developers are keeping a close eye on this, and I know this is definitely on their radar!

• dppeak
    dppeak
    Community Member
    edited August 2021

This is a high priority item for me as I have passwords in my keychain that I don't plan to move to 1Password and want to be able to access either of the two sources. I have found an app called Minimalist that supports this feature and I might find myself having to move to that app if 1Password is unable to support this with its move to a non-native app. Please let us know if moving to Electron is going to remove the native features we've come to expect on the Mac/iOS platform. In the mean time, I've had to disable the 1Password menu due to it interfering with the system version.

Thanks!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for the feedback @dppeak! I will let the team know that you would find this useful :+1:

In the mean time, I've had to disable the 1Password menu due to it interfering with the system version.

Our recommendation would be to keep 1Password enabled instead, and turn off additional menus to avoid interference with the filling technology:

Turn off the built-in password manager in your browser

But if you prefer it the other way around, that's certainly also an option :+1:

• osniro
    osniro
    Community Member

Any updates on this? :)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Not yet @osniro, sorry!

• osniro
    osniro
    Community Member

That’s a shame. Any reason for it taking so long? Would love to have this functionality

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@osniro:

I don't think there is a specific reason, other than the usual prioritization of bug fixes and new features by the developers, but a lot of the work has been going towards the new 1Password 8 apps recently, so that might have been part of the reason this time.

• osniro
    osniro
    Community Member

@ag_ana Okay, that's understandable :smile: Keep us updated if there's any progress!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Will do :+1: :)

This discussion has been closed.