1password beta extension pops up release notes instead of autofilling

Options

With both:

• Chrome 2.0.2 chrome://extensions/?id=khgocmkkpikpnmmkgmdnfckapcdkgfaf
  • Firefox 2.0.2 "1Password Beta - Password Manager"

and the 1Password for Linux running in the background:

when I click the unlocked 1Password icon in the browser's toolbar, it does not autofill as I would expect, it instead opens a window with release notes that I didn't ask for, and then does not fill as my intention requested

also, The "Additional information" section below is now outdated given the push to 1Password.com, right? or certainly for this forum specifically

1Password Version: 1Password Beta - Password Manager
Extension Version: 2.0.2
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @mdaniel 👋

Thanks for getting in touch. Does the new tab open each and every time you try to fill with 1Password? The release notes should appear once (our 2.0 release was a huge one, so we needed to let folks know about some of the changes to expect), but only once. After you quit the release notes tab, what happens when you click the 1Password icon in your browser toolbar again?

• mdaniel
    mdaniel
    Community Member
    Options

it's a new window, not a tab, which means it steals focus in the case of most window managers

but yes, so far it appears only once per release, but that toolbar button is not labeled "show me release notes", it's for auto-filling passwords on the current page. Nor is the user given any indication that its behavior has been temporarily changed, to "brace" against the "I am going to get some random window as a result of this click" (such as putting an up arrow on the icon, or a green dot, or some other kind of treatment

but, UI iconography concerns aside, one will observe that my biggest complaint is that it did not do what I asked and autofill the form. If you want to spam people's windows, I guess that's your UX decision, but to eat the request for the one thing your product is being paid to do feels like a good way to infuriate your users

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for the feedback, @mdaniel! I appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts with me. Just so I'm clear, is 1Password filling as you'd expect now that you've closed the release notes window?

• mdaniel
    mdaniel
    Community Member
    Options

it does, yes, at least until the next release, I guess

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@mdaniel – I can definitely tell you that having the release notes pop up won't be a recurring theme. We've never done it in the past, but this last update included the ability for 1Password in your browser to share the lock state with the 1Password desktop app. We needed a way to let customers know that so it didn't come as a surprise when 1Password in your browser was suddenly unlocked.

Enjoy the rest of your week! :)

This discussion has been closed.