Safari extension stops responding after each update

Hello team!

Every time 1Password updates, safari extension stops responding (toolbar icon and "Unlock 1Password" button do not react on clicks) until the whole mac os is restarted. That is a bit frustrating. Can it not be fixed?

1Password Version: 1Password 7 Version 7.8 (70800001) Mac App Store
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Big Sur 11.2.3
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Capilano
    Capilano
    Community Member

Hi.... Having the same issue as well. Whilst I'm presented with the unlock button in safari, nothing happens when I click on it. This started after the update.

• ag_tommy
    edited April 2021

@trollfred @Capilano

Can you give your Mac a restart and let me know if that helps? Before trying that you could also try the following.

1. Look for our helper in the menu bar near the WiFi indicator and the clock. Right-click (Option-click) on the helper and select quit 1Password completely.
    2. Quit your browser, Safari.
    3. Wait a few seconds and then open 1Password from the Dock or the Applications folder and unlock.
    4. Open your browser.

Does this help?

• Capilano
    Capilano
    Community Member

I restarted once but then 1 Password in the main menu bar was visible but unresponsive. I restarted a second time and everything was back and seems to be working fine. Strange. (M1 MacBook Air. OS Big Sur 11.2.3). Thank you.

• :+1: Thanks for the feedback. I agree strange. I've had folks on both sides of the fence today. *Scratches head.

• trollfred
    trollfred
    Community Member

Restarting Mac OS helps :)
    Restarting 1Password and Safari (and waiting few seconds) does not :(

• Thanks for adding that info to my toolkit @trollfred I appreciate you letting me know.

• papa666
    papa666
    Community Member

I've tried all above and still no 1Password icon in the safari header. I just got the new update notice this morning and clicked it but it did not seem to do the update normally. If I check for updates in 1PW it says I am up to date, 1Password 7
    Version 7.8.1 (70801003)
    1Password Store
    Please get me a fix as I can only get the Safari extension to work well. Using it in Chrome or Brave requires a login every access with no Apple Watch or other helper whether 1PW is open or not.

• papa666
    papa666
    Community Member

That did it, thank you very much.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

We're glad to hear it!

On behalf of ag_tommy, you're most welcome! :chuffed:

• frise80
    frise80
    Community Member
    edited June 2021

Same issue than @trollfred again today. 1password updated on background -> Not able to use 1Password extension on Safari anymore (exact same issue than the 1st message here).

• Restarting Mac OS helps
    • Restarting 1Password and Safari does not

Frustrating to have to reboot the entire mac to get back to normal... Is there any workaround or fix to come ?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@frise80:

If restarting 1Password and Safari did not help in your case, if it happens again I would like to ask you to generate a diagnostics report from your Mac and email it to us to support+forum@agilebits.com, so we can take a closer look at why this is happening to you.

After you have sent the email, please feel free to post the ticket number you received so we can locate your message and connect it with this forum discussion.

Looking forward to your message!

• shestad
    shestad
    Community Member
    edited June 2021

@ag_tommy yes, this resolved my issue. Thank you!

Can you give your Mac a restart and let me know if that helps? Before trying that you could also try the following.
    Look for our helper in the menu bar near the WiFi indicator and the clock. Right-click (Option-click) on the helper and select quit >1Password completely.
    Quit your browser, Safari.
    Wait a few seconds and then open 1Password from the Dock or the Applications folder and unlock.
    Open your browser.
    Does this help?

• @shestad

We're glad to hear the restart resolved your issue. If you have any other questions, or there's anything we can do to help - do not hesitate to reach back out! :)

• HenryQW
    HenryQW
    Community Member

Same here, had to restart Mac to get it working.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for letting us know @HenryQW :+1:

• jaimefink
    jaimefink
    Community Member

Same here. It's been needing to be rebooted after each 1Password update for well over a year of updates, this isn't new, and frankly it's the only reason my computer ever gets rebooted there are such frequent 1Password app updates. I've tried removing/adding the extension, and killing the 1Password app fully from the menu bar. Please fix this, or slow down your pace of auto-updates so I don't have to reboot so frequently, it's super frustrating!!!

Safari Version 15.0 (16612.1.29.41.4, 16612)
    MacOS 11.6 (20G165) Big Sur
    1Password 7 | Version 7.9.1 (70901006) | Mac App Store

• ag_chantelle
    edited November 2021

@jaimefink

While regularly restarting is good practice, it's certainly not required to get 1Password working again. If you're finding that fully quitting both 1Password and Safari (as suggested by Tommy here) does not work for you, it might be useful for us to get a deeper look at what's happening on your Mac. You can share a diagnostics report with us at support+x@1password.com to help us pin down any underlying issues that may be present.

• mberdych
    mberdych
    Community Member

I would like to add, that I have the same behaviour on Safari and 1password updates. On top of that, I have noticed, that the "same" is happening on Microsoft Edge on Mac. The only difference is, that the extension respond on the click with message, that I have to unlock the main app before usage. The main app can't be unlocked with Touch ID, it is actually not working at all and any 1password action requires password. This goes away after Mac is rebooted. On both safari and edge. It is really annoying, especially considering updates frequency.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for chiming in @mberdych .

Please do try restarting Safari and 1Password instead of restarting your computer like so:

1. Right click the little 1Password icon on the top menu bar of your Mac (where the clock is) and select "Quit 1Password Completely".
    2. Quit Safari by right clicking its icon in the Dock and selecting "Quit".
    3. Open and unlock 1Password.
    4. Open Safari and test if it is working properly.

That should be a lot more convenient and faster than restarting the computer, and will get things up and running properly again.
    We hope to see some improvements on this front in the near future.

• Gordo74
    Gordo74
    Community Member

This has been happening on my wife’s computer frequently (2018 MBA running Big Sur and now Monterey). We’re about ready to throw in the towel on 1Password over this issue and, as you can see in this thread, the Roomba behavior (going over the same thing over and over) of “well, just restart it” isn’t a good enough answer for non techies in a supposedly easy to use application. We’ve been customers for years, but this level of TLC is ridiculous.

Seems to have all happened around the 7.8 update, as noted in this thread. Fix it.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for the feedback @Gordo74, I will pass it along to the developers. Thank you for your patience while they continue investigating! :+1:

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Hey @Gordo74 (and everyone else experiencing this issue regularly),

If you'd like to try something new that might improve your experience and the stability of 1Password in Safari, I recommend installing 1Password 8 beta and the new "1Password for Safari" extension:

1. Download and install 1Password 8.
    2. Download and install 1Password for Safari from the Mac App Store.
    3. Give the computer a restart for good measures.
    4. Open and unlock 1Password, then open Safari and make sure that in Safari -> Preferences -> Extensions, "1Password for Safari" is present and enabled.

1Password 8 and the new 1Password for Safari are communicating in a different and more stable manner, which should persists even when there are updates. Hopefully this will provide you with a better experience across the board.

This discussion has been closed.