Safari plugin very regularly stops working now

Options
jrothlis
jrothlis
Community Member

Lastest version of 1Password (currently 7.8.5), latest version of Big Sur 11.4. 1Password very regularly doesn't work inside Safari. Command-\ does nothing, 1Password doesn't prompt to store credentials when logging into a site. I have to "Quit 1Password Completely" and re-launch it. This is absolute core functionality, why has it become so unreliable?

1Password Version: 7.8.5
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Big Sur 11.4
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @jrothlis!

If this happens again to you, I would like to ask you to generate a diagnostics report from your Mac and email it to us to support+forum@agilebits.com, so we can take a closer look at why this is happening to you.

After you have sent the email, please feel free to post the ticket number you received so we can locate your message and connect it with this forum discussion.

Looking forward to your message!

• wfolta
    wfolta
    Community Member
    Options

Happening to me and INFURIATING. Sometimes it doesn't say why, but this morning (this is the second time) it says that it can't verify the browser and so won't work with it. The browser is Safari, so there's no browser that's more verifiable than that. (Not a beta, the regular Safari.)

Today might be different from the past in that I'm also running additional security software (Sophos Intercept X) which could potentially be messing with 1Password's ability to verify Safari, but I don't think so.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@wfolta:

I see in this other discussion that you managed to fix this by restarting 1Password and Safari :+1:

Today might be different from the past in that I'm also running additional security software (Sophos Intercept X) which could potentially be messing with 1Password's ability to verify Safari, but I don't think so.

If you are using Sophos, definitely make sure that it whitelists 1Password, or it could interfere with the communication:

Configuring Sophos

• wfolta
    wfolta
    Community Member
    Options

Good point to note for readers of this thread. In my case, it's literally a Sophos firewall appliance so it won't see 127.0.0.1, unlike Sophos Home running on the machine with 1Password.

On the other hand, I recently added Sophos Intercept X endpoint software to my laptop, which does run on the machine with 1Password. And it is similar to Sophos Home in terms of features -- sort of the industrial-strength version of Home which integrates with the firewall appliance and other services. It doesn't seem to interfere with 1Password at default settings. (It could be contributing to issues with upgrades, but I think 1Password/Safari glitches have been happening for quite a while, while Intercept X has only been installed for about a month.)

I also run Little Snitch and simply won't use a Mac without 1Password, Little Snitch, and Default Folder. (And now Intercept X.)

• max___g
    max___g
    Community Member
    Options

Same thing, it has been happening very frequently lately. It's very annoying having to fight with the product to make it work as it did a few hours before. I believe it's happens at least every time there is an automatic update. I get some kind of prompt to allow running 1Password, but it stops working anyways.

When it happens, the app is also unusable from the menubar, it shows a generic message to turn on the extension, which opens the Safari extension window with the extension already enabled. Disabling/enabling it does absolutely nothing.

Sometimes restarting 1Password work, but other times it requires restarting Safari and if you're doing any type of meaningful work this is not always possible to do immediately.

It stopped working yesterday when I got the latest update, now I see the Safari extension version (7.8.5) and the 1Password app (7.8.6) diverge, not sure if that has anything to do with it.

• @max___g

The extension number and the version number should be the same, With them mismatching it would seem that you are in the middle of an update.

• Look for our helper in the menu bar near the WiFi indicator and the clock. Right-click (Option-click) on the helper and select quit 1Password completely. Quit Safari. Wait a few seconds and then open 1Password from the Dock or the Applications folder. Open Safari.

The version numbers should now match.

• jrothlis
    jrothlis
    Community Member
    Options

Here is my Diagnostics Report [#PGR-47883-482]

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thank you @jrothlis! I see that my colleague Nhat has already replied to you via email :+1:

ref: PGR-47883-482

• jrothlis
    jrothlis
    Community Member
    Options

I haven't had the issue since I uninstalled the App Store version and installed the version downloaded from your website. If the App Store version is so broken, why don't you withdraw it? You must be receiving so many complaints! I think it's a much better user experience to have the App Store update my apps, rather than each app having to update itself separately, but it seems that is not possible with 1Password.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jrothlis:

A lot of users use the Mac App Store version of 1Password for the reasons you mentioned, so it can definitely be used ;) Using the version from our website gives you updates faster though, since you don't have to wait for Apple's approval process, so if there are new fixes you can get them right away from our website :+1:

This discussion has been closed.