Login Automation

Options

Currently, I click on the username or password login box and 1P will present the stored login information after which I select and then click on Enter/Submit.

Is there not a way to automate the need to click on Enter/Submit?
Is there not a way to automate further by not having to select username/password, if there is only 1 selection for the web site in the 1P database?

1Password Version: 7.7.807
Extension Version: 2.0.2
OS Version: windows 10
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@allawrence – Good question! Long ago, we did have a feature that we called autosubmit. That is, until we learned that having the ability for browser extensions to be able to imitate key strokes, such as the ‘return’ key that we emulate for auto-submit, can be exploited by malware to do some fairly nefarious things. That caused some OSes to block the ability to imitate the 'return' key altogether. We’ve tried out a few different things in the past, including using JavaScript to search for and “press” the submit/login button. This proved to be a fairly unreliable approach, and nothing we’ve found works quite as well as the return key. When designing software like 1Password, web browsers, and operating systems, there is always a fine balance between security and convenience.

As far as automating the sign in process, 1Password feels pretty strongly about allowing the user to select a Login before filling. There's a blog post written by our very own Chief Defender Against the Dark Arts explaining it here: https://blog.1password.com/1password-keeps-you-safe-by-keeping-you-in-the-loop/

I highly recommend giving that blog post a read - there's a lot to learn!

If you have any other questions, let me know. :)

• allawrence
    allawrence
    Community Member
    Options

I appreciate the quick answer and will be reading that blog post shortly.

Meanwhile, leaving the 'pressing of the return key" aside, is there a reason that 1P does not insert the username/password (only if there is ONE choice) ... this eliminates 1 step... a small step for mankind :)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@allawrence:

It's for security reasons ;) The blog post goes into some details about this too :+1:

• allawrence
    allawrence
    Community Member
    Options

I have now read the blog entry and understand why things now work the way they do. However, I believe the user should be given the option to 'turn off' the action either globally or preferably individually.

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@allawrence – I'm glad to hear that cleared things up for you. I appreciate the feedback around having an optional setting to autofill. It's good to know that's something you'd be interested in.

This discussion has been closed.