Can I transfer passwords stored my Safari into 1Password? [Solved]

Options
hawkmoth
hawkmoth
Community Member
edited June 2021 in Mac

My wife has been using both 1Password, as well as allowing Safari to suggest and save credentials. Needless to say, she is now often confused. (Long ago I prevented my computers from using anything but 1Password.) So the question now is, Can I transfer her credentials into 1Password from her iCloud Keychain? If there is a sensible way to do that, I should be able to alleviate some unnecessary stress. I’m hoping this won’t require manually transferring the credentials one-by-one.

A quick search in the support section hasn’t turned up what I’m seeking.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited June 2021
    Options

Hi @hawkmoth

Exporting Safari passwords (stored via iCloud Keychain) can be accomplished using the Get_Safari12_Passwords script in the converter suite. It will place them in a CSV file on your Desktop, which you then convert to a 1Password 1PIF file to import into 1Password.

Watch a screen video of how the process works here, then head over to the converter suite thread next. The video is slightly out of date, as I've recently simplified the script at the point to where you're about to unlock your Safari passwords.

After you've downloaded the converter suite, please replace the Get_Safari12_Passwords.applescript with the one located in the Custom folder at the convert suite's download location. I updated it a few days ago to resolve some localization issues for another user, but have not yet created/uploaded a new package that includes it. The one in the current package should work fine if your macOS language is in English, but I'd still like to get more outside testing done since my data set is limited.

I'm here if you need additional guidance.

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

Sorry to so tardy in thanking you for this. I do remember from my past as a community moderator that you have this all nailed down, but the memory had faded. I have to find a time window when I can sit at my wife’s machine for awhile before I can process this transfer. Not sure when in the next few days that will be, but I’m looking forward to making this all work right! I’ll report how it works.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited June 2021
    Options

No worries, @hawkmoth - at your leisure. I'll take ownership of the thread until you're ready.

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks so much for the pointers, @MrC!

Finally, a little more than two weeks after I asked about this, I had some uninterrupted time with my wife's computer. Your converter worked really well. The only issues I encountered arose when I rushed ahead to a next step without reading your clearly written step-by-step instructions. So I had to backtrack a couple of times, but I did not encounter any troubles getting her Safari passwords accurately converted to a CVS file, converted to 1pif, and imported into her installation of 1Password. For safety sake, I set up a separate vault for the imported logins, so they can be examined easily if any issues arise.

All of her information stored by Safari are logins. They ended up all being titled by the URL of the sites she accesses. I guess those will need to be edited into more conventional titles by hand, one-by-one. Safari apparently doesn't use any ordinary naming conventions for identifying its data. It just records the site's URL.

Here is a followup question about what to do with the credentials saved by Safari. I have turned off the option to have Safari AutoFill web forms using user names and passwords, which should have Safari out of this business in the future. I have not yet deleted the credentials from Safari. Do you know if I can assume they will now just sit there without intruding on 1Password's ability to supply credentials? Eventually, I will deleted them completely from Safari, but only after she's been using her Mac without trouble for long enough to be confident I have gotten this all right.

Once more, thanks for your contribution to making this transition feasible. And kind of fun at that.

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    edited June 2021
    Options

And apologies for not picking up on your directions for getting the new AppleScript version. The one in the packaged worked fine, but I’m sorry not to be able to give you the feedback you sought. Would it help if I did a second conversion with the new version?

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited June 2021
    Options

@hawkmoth

Your converter worked really well.

Excellent, good to get the feedback.

The only issues I encountered arose when I rushed ahead to a next step without reading your clearly written step-by-step instructions

LOL, been there, done that. There's a lot of reading!

They ended up all being titled by the URL of the sites she accesses... It just records the site's URL.

Correct. Safari's passwords only show the top level domain name as the title, since multiple sub-domains (with the same login credentials) are grouped into one entry. There are no other titles available.

Do you know if I can assume they will now just sit there without intruding on 1Password's ability to supply credentials?

That's correct. They will stay in iCloud Keychain (unless you disable that), and Safari still has access to the data via the Passwords dialog in Preferences, but it won't auto-fill or interfere.

And apologies for not picking up on your directions for getting the new AppleScript version. The one in the packaged worked fine, but I’m sorry not to be able to give you the feedback you sought.

No worries, so long as the old one worked, that's perfect.

Once more, thanks for your contribution to making this transition feasible. And kind of fun at that.

You're welcome!

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

I just realized it would be more efficient to edit the titles in the CSV, then convert and import.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@hawkmoth ,

Yes, if you want to get it all done in one shot, that's a good call.

I considered outputting a cleaned-up version of the URL as the title, but realized this would have some serious limitations. In the end, it would be little more than the domain name with the dot removed, and perhaps the first letter in uppercase.

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

@MrC,

Just a small contribution: I did rerun the capture with your revised script, which also worked flawlessly for me.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

Woohoo!

Thank you very much., @hawkmoth

This discussion has been closed.