Two, nearly identical laptops both with 1pwd 2.0.2, Win10. One will not stay unlocked.

Options
greenscreen45
greenscreen45
Community Member
edited June 2021 in 1Password in the Browser

The other will stay unlocked until device is restarted. This is what we need because the other option is to leave browser (Brave) open all the time which is certainly less than ideal. Both laptops are stay at home with no security issues unless someone breaks into the house after defeating alarm and iron grills on all doors and accessible windows!
Tried to find version but the instructions are irrelevant. Settings? No about.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: 2.0.2
OS Version: win 10
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:stays open on one laptop, not on other?

Comments

• greenscreen45
    greenscreen45
    Community Member
    Options

WORK-AROUND! Add extension for Pulse SMS and even if you close browser, 1Password will stay unlocked until you restart computer. You don't even have to have a Pulse account, just the extension.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @greenscreen45!

I have never heard of the Pulse SMS extension before, so I am not sure what sort of relation it could have to the 1Password locking system, which is entirely separate. I wonder if you have configured your extension's settings separately instead. On this second laptop, do you have the integration between the desktop app and the extension enabled?

• greenscreen45
    greenscreen45
    Community Member
    Options

That feature is enabled. Guess it always has been. SMS Pulse is a desktop/mobile messaging that allows texting from desktop and syncs with cell phone. I have no idea why it worked, all I know is it does work. I should not have to use third-party software to "interfere" with 1pwd to have it function as I need it to function. This second laptop is used by an eighty-five-year-old gentleman and he has some difficulty with typing. We have dictation software for writing and composing emails but 1pwd offers no accessibility options.

There are enough posts here to suggest that many people want the option to leave 1pwd unlocked until a device restart or just when they chose to lock it. I, for one, am really tired of software developers determining what is best for me, my family and our situation. Guess we have to add 1pwd to the long list including Jobs, Gates and all the others that know what we need!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@greenscreen45:

That feature is enabled. Guess it always has been.

Thank you for the confirmation! That feature is quite new (from just a few days ago), so it was worth checking how it was configured on this system :+1:

I should not have to use third-party software to "interfere" with 1pwd to have it function as I need it to function.

Agreed, I am sure there is no connection between the two. Can you please send us some logs so we can take a closer look for you?

After you have sent the email, please feel free to post the ticket number you received so we can locate your message and connect it with this forum discussion.

Looking forward to your message!

• plttn
    plttn
    Community Member
    Options

If I had to speculate, Brave is behaving exactly the same way Chrome/Chromium/all of their friends (since Brave is just Chromium), and it being Pulse is completely irrelevant, it's just an extension running in the background.

I would suspect that you have an extension on your install that runs in the background similar to Pulse SMS which means that when you close the Brave window you aren't technically closing Brave completely (if not using Pulse SMS exactly).

• greenscreen45
    greenscreen45
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, plttn, I suspect you're right. Makes for a much less than ideal situation but if 1pwd continues to ignore requests for this ability...

It's too difficult for the user to be logging in dozens of times a day.

And, ag_ana, none of those log or diagnostic options can be found but thanks anyway. I'll stick to my workaround until 1pwd comes to its senses.

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@greenscreen45 – Just to be sure, do you have the 1Password desktop app installed on the computer that isn't working properly? The new feature we released allows 1Password in your browser to adopt the lock state of the 1Password desktop app.

If you get around to it, we'd love to see a copy of your log that Ana requested here so we can help get to the bottom of it! Again, the guide for obtaining your log is here: https://support.1password.com/cs/extension-console-log/

If you're having trouble grabbing the log, just let us know what step you're on and we can walk you through the process.

• greenscreen45
    greenscreen45
    Community Member
    Options

Now after all this time using 1pwd, I find out there's a desktop app? What is wrong with this picture? With every new post, I am soo regretting that LastPass was revealed to be tracking users! No categories available to organize over 400 log ins, nope, just scroll through an alphabetical listing. Can't even see how to call up various tags!

Yeah, don't think I'll be bothering to dig around and try and send logs and diagnostics.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@greenscreen45:

Here is a screenshot of the categories list from the browser extension (every other 1Password app also has the same list):

Can't even see how to call up various tags!

Tags can be seen in the sidebar of the desktop app, or on the 1Password.com website. This article also has some screenshots:

Organize with favorites and tags

If you change your mind and would like us to help, you are absolutely always welcome to send us the logs :+1:

• greenscreen45
    greenscreen45
    Community Member
    Options

Those categories are fine for all the various types of items you might keep in 1pwd but they won't help separate 400 logins into groupings such as finance, social, tech, etc. Thankfully, if you remember the names, typing a few letters usually comes up with appropriate options.

• plttn
    plttn
    Community Member
    Options

@greenscreen45: you can add tags to items:

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Not only tags, but favorites as well: https://support.1password.com/favorites-tags/

Did installing the desktop app resolve the auto-locking problem for you @greenscreen45 ?

• greenscreen45
    greenscreen45
    Community Member
    Options

Those categories are fine for all the various types of items you might keep in 1pwd but they won't help separate 400 logins into groupings such as finance, social, tech, etc. Thankfully, if you remember the names, typing a few letters usually comes up with appropriate options.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@greenscreen45:

It looks like your post was sent twice, please see plttn and Yaron's comments above for some suggestions :+1:

• greenscreen45
    greenscreen45
    Community Member
    Options

Desktop app made no difference. Problem is resolved by adding an extension that prevents browser (Brave) from truly shutting down until device is restarted or I use task manager to shut down Brave.

And thanks to both ag_yaron and plttn for tags and favorites suggestions. However, when you can't make your own categories, the whole tag/favorite thing is pretty useless. I had Auto, Publishing, Garden, Animals, Photography, Design and so many more which is the only way to keep 400 logins organized!

• greenscreen45
    greenscreen45
    Community Member
    Options

Sorry for the double posting. I think it was still sitting with "Post" still active when I logged in otherwise I don't see how I could post exact same message twice. Comment below was also still sitting here but I swear I posted.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    Options

@greenscreen45 I moved from LastPass to 1Password and my groups in LastPass became tags in 1Password. It allows you to do all the same things and has the advantage that you can apply two tags to the same item. For example, apply a Finance tag to all your financial items and you'll be able to select them by clicking on Finance in the sidebar.

• greenscreen45
    greenscreen45
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, I have all those tags also but they're pretty useless since they cannot be used in the browser extension which is where I use logins. Instead I would have to have the desktop app open all the time and use that to navigate to sites in the browser. Not a very elegant solution. I've given up on using the mobile app since besides having to log in every time you try to use 1pwd it usually takes me in circles and rarely logs in to the site.

Software designers, in fact, all designers, should be made to actually use the products they design. This is true of everything from cars down to toasters. Maybe if they had to put up with some of the poor functionality they build into products they'd see the light.

I will continue to grumble but it's still better than being tracked via LastPass!

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @greenscreen45 ,
    We all use our products here on all devices, I can assure you that :)

When you're in your browser, click the 1Password extension icon on the top right corner of your browser and type the name of the tag you need. It will preset you with all logins associated with that tag. That's how you use tags in the extension.

Is for the mobile app, you can adjust its auto-lock settings in the app, and also utilize biometrics if your phone supports it which makes unlocking 1Password a breeze. Autofilling should also work in most cases on your mobile phone. Feel free to open a new discussion in the appropriate community topic (Android / iOS) and we'll gladly help you get things working properly in your mobile device.

This discussion has been closed.