Vaults for kids that parents can see?

jasondunn
jasondunn
Community Member

Long-time 1Password user here. Just signed up for a 1Password family account, but it may not do what I need. What I was hoping for was the ability to create a vault for my son, one that I could have access to, to contain his login credentials. I see a shared vault, but everyone can see what's in the shared vault right? Is there a way to have vaults with permissions that are read/write for the account owner (me), and read/write for him, but not open to other family members I'll add later?

Is there perhaps a blog post that talks about how to best use 1Password Family with kids? Thanks for any info!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Mac & Windows
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hey @jasondunn

Welcome!

I see a shared vault, but everyone can see what's in the shared vault right?

Correct.

Is there a way to have vaults with permissions that are read/write for the account owner (me), and read/write for him, but not open to other family members I'll add later?

There is. :) We have a guide that may help, here:

Create and share vaults

We don't have a blog post as far as I can recall, but we're happy to answer any questions. :+1: I hope that helps!

Ben

• jasondunn
    jasondunn
    Community Member

Hi Ben! Thanks for the quick response. I got it working, but am stuck on another part: on my son's laptop, I have the Windows client installed. It's logged in as me. I want to log out, and log in under his credentials so he can start using it. When I tried to swap logins - I can't remember the menu item name - it gave me an error about how I couldn't have two users on the account or something? I apologize, I didn't write down the error language. How should I set him up with the 1Password desktop app? Uninstall and reinstall?

• @jasondunn

You'll want to reset the local database to allow you to sign in with his credentials.

Make sure you have saved any Emergency Kits, and all of the data present in the installation is in the account. Then choose Help > Troubleshooting > Reset all 1Password data. That will let you set it up anew for his account. If you see any options for signing into your account, make sure to select the other account.

• I am going off of memory. The names may not be 100%. Sorry, I am not in front of a Windows device at the moment.
  • jasondunn
    jasondunn
    Community Member

Thanks @ag_tommy! Though I was quite scared to proceed (for fear of it nuking my entire wallet on all devices) I went ahead.

@Ben: I created a vault and shared it with my son and that's working OK. I wish he didn't have the private vault though, is there a way to disable that? I made the shared vault the default, but I'd prefer it be the only one. Do I need the family tier to do what I did with creating a vault and sharing with him?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@jasondunn:

I wish he didn't have the private vault though, is there a way to disable that?

Not at the moment, the Private vault is created by default.

Do I need the family tier to do what I did with creating a vault and sharing with him?

Yes, you cannot share vaults with other family members with an Individual account, at least a Families account is required to share vaults :+1:

This discussion has been closed.