All Items

Lazarus Long
Lazarus Long
Community Member

I have three vaults. I select my Personal vault because that's where most of my passwords are.

But when I click on "All Items', it shows me items from all my vaults. It would be nice if it would just show me the items from the vault I have selected.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Lazarus Long!

Can you confirm what version of the 1Password app you are running, and on what operating system? Thank you!

• Lazarus Long
    Lazarus Long
    Community Member

Sure, I'm running the latest Windows Beta

1Password for Windows 8.1.0-45.BETA
    80100045, on BETA channel

Thank you!

• Blake
    edited June 2021

@Lazarus Long

I wasn't able to reproduce the same behavior here on our end. Just to double-check, after you select the specific account you want (in this case, my Demo Account)

.. and then you select your Vault and click on "All Items"

you're still seeing items stored within other vaults listed there, after clicking "All Items"?

• Lazarus Long
    Lazarus Long
    Community Member

Hi Blake.

I created some screenshots to show you what I am seeing.

Maybe I am doing something wrong or am misunderstanding how it's supposed to work.

Thank you!

• Blake
    edited June 2021

Ah! I think I may have originally misunderstood the issue, but now I totally understand.

Anytime you're wanting to see only the items located in a specific vault, all you need to do is select only the vault you want to view.

When you're needing to see all of the items in every single vault you have in the account, you'll want to click All Items

• Lazarus Long
    Lazarus Long
    Community Member

That makes sense, but it is not how the Mac version works so it's confusing!

• Blake
    edited June 2021

As mentioned in @dteare's Blog Post...

Early Access to 1Password 8 for Windows, and 1Password for Linux are the future of 1Password, so it's expected to see these two apps work a bit differently from what you've been use to.

So strap in, get ready, and let's go! It's going to be an exciting year, with lots of changes in store for everyone to enjoy! 💙

• Lazarus Long
    Lazarus Long
    Community Member

Frankly I think the new way is confusing and counter-intuitive, I hope you'll reconsider. Thank you.

• Thanks so much for your feedback, we really appreciate it - I'll ensure this gets passed along.

• aidantrager
    aidantrager
    Community Member

Looks like I'm a bit late to this discussion, but I just downloaded 1Password 8 for Windows today and want to chime in. I find the idea of a "All Items" for all vaults view to be both confusing, and frankly, useless. I never want to see more than a single vault's items at once (If I didn't want to separate items, I wouldn't have multiple vaults in the first place).

I'm honestly puzzled why this new "All Items" list is given such prominence in the new design and struggling to think of what workflow or use-case this helps. Especially when search appears to pull from all my vaults regardless of the view I'm in. I'm sure I can get used to ignoring this tab in time, but I'm definitely going to be accidentally clicking on it for the time being.

To be clear, I'm not opposed to an "all vaults" view, my issue is that it's the very top option on the sidebar, and combined with the categories section being moved out of the sidebar, it makes the app significantly more confusing to navigate.

• Thanks for this feedback, @aidantrager. It's helpful for us to know how you use the app. I hope I can speak to some of the design thinking here in light of that.

I find the idea of a "All Items" for all vaults view to be both confusing, and frankly, useless. I never want to see more than a single vault's items at once (If I didn't want to separate items, I wouldn't have multiple vaults in the first place).

We respect that. While making "All Items" display items contained in all vaults is an intentional design choice, it's worth knowing that not everyone intuitively expects that to be the case!

However, we expect that many people will find it helpful, because it enables a quick alphabetized scroll through everything you've got, lets you sort the contents of all vaults by categories, and most importantly produces those results on a single screen, compiling a comprehensive list of items that may live in different vaults in front of you, rather than forcing a user to switch back and forth between different vaults and rely on one's own memory for comparison.

It also means, unlike a search function, that the user doesn't have to remember what an item is named, what type of item it is, or where it's stored in order to see it in context.

To be clear, I'm not opposed to an "all vaults" view, my issue is that it's the very top option on the sidebar, and combined with the categories section being moved out of the sidebar, it makes the app significantly more confusing to navigate.

We really appreciate this kind of clear feedback. I wonder if there's a better way to convey to the user what "all vaults" means and why it's placed where it is. Again, we base a lot of our decisions going forward on feedback from customers, so we'll take this to the design team.

That said, there is a logic at work here. If you look at the visual design of the app, that logic is reflected in the layout of the left-hand menu. "All items", "Favorites, and "Watchtower", which appear at the top - and separated from the list of vaults below - all work across vaults. Watchtower (if it's enabled) doesn't just assess the security of passwords in one vault, it does it for all of them. "Favorites" helps you locate items you've favorited regardless of the vault they live in. And "All Items" gives you access to a unified, trans-vault view of all your 1Password data, in one place.

In the end, I think about the question "shouldn't there be a single place in the app where a person can go to see everything they've got?". In my view, it's harder to argue that this kind of feature should be excluded, rather than included as an organizational starting point that many people will find useful. I hope that makes sense!

• aidantrager
    aidantrager
    Community Member
    edited August 2021

Hi @PeterG_1P,

Thank you for the in-depth reply! That all makes sense, but I think ultimately we just use 1Password in different ways.

At least to me, having Watchtower include every login across all my vaults is significantly less useful and feels like a bit of downgrade. In 1Password 7, practically everything is per-vault, and that's really the way I want to view each section of the app. I hope in version 8 that you'll allow Watchtower to continue having a per-vault view (or letting me at least exclude certain vaults from it), even if it's an option and not the default.

In regards to favorites, I looked at how I'm using that now and I only use it for my "main" vault anyway, so I think it's going to essentially work the same for me regardless of if it's showing one vault or all vaults.

• Thanks for all the feedback here folks! Greatly appreciated and we will continue iterating and thinking through the overall navigation of the apps.

To speak a bit more to "All Items", in previous versions of 1Password we got a lot of feedback around people getting lost, and not being able to find certain items, or thinking data was missing because they got into a state where they were in a vault specific view, but vaults were hidden in the sidebar. the vaults vs categories vs tags in OPM7 in particular caused a lot of confusion due to the way that they were set up there. I spoke to this a bit more in another thread earlier today:

... We started looking more and more into how people use vaults, tags, and categories via user research, customer support interactions, and internal discussions. The more we looked at it the more it seemed to become clear that tags and vaults are thought of for organization, and they fit the sidebar concept very well for most because they want to be able to drag and drop things to them, create new ones for sharing or just their own organization mental models, and it fit in with the thoughts most people we spoke with had from other apps they use.

Item categories we found to be most related to file types in the way people seem to think of them. You can't really swap between them because some are incompatible with others, so they aren't really thought of by many as an organizational tool. You don't often want "all JPEG files" in your Finder sidebar for instance, but rather a way to find by searching or filtering to those when you need them.

This isn't true of everyone of course, and there was quite a bit of debate and other solutions discussed and iterated on. Based on our user testing and research so far, this has felt like the most easily learnable, and useful way forward. But as we see additional feedback from folks like yourselves, we will continue to think about improving how you can navigate the apps for all of these things.

Regarding @PeterG_1P's comment about Watchtower. We are definitely still looking into ways to make the new dashboard more powerful and wanting to drill into specific accounts, or specific vaults is something we're actively discussing. One workaround that you can do for now, although not exactly what you're looking for, is to create a "Collection" that only includes the vaults you want to see in Watchtower. If you're not familiar yet, Collections are a new feature where you can create a set of vaults that you want to see together, getting rid of all the others that you maybe don't need to see as often (similar to what we used to call "All Vaults" but more customizable). Select the Account menu on the top left of the app and select "Create a Collection". I have one I call "Everyday" that is my personal vaults across various accounts, and the others that I actively use on a daily basis. But then I switch to the "All Accounts" view to see everything when needed.

Cheers and thanks again for all the feedback here folks! Greatly appreciated :)

This discussion has been closed.