Migrating from my 2015 iMac to 2021 M1 iMac

Options
hawk713
hawk713
Community Member

I have both my old and new iMac connected to the internet and on my desk. Did not want to use Apple Migration instead did a completely new restart. The Apple App Store has many choices for apps related to 1P. Which choice should I make? After twoa weeks of M1 iMac operation, plan to erase everything from my old iMac and ship it back to Apple. Any additional information is helpful. I went to

I have an annual subscription which expires Spring of 2022.

1Password Version: 1Password 7 Version 7.8.6 (70806001) 1Password Sto
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS 11.4
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• hawk713
    hawk713
    Community Member
    Options

After waiting one day, I was able to download the 1Password app and login on my new M1 iMac. Works fine but I am unable to make the Safari helper app work. I now have two 1P icons in the dock. The first opens 1P and I am able to view my vault and use it to open web sites in Safari. Great result. Love 1Password.

My remaining problem, 1P helper app has been downloaded from the Apple App Store but will not install into any browser. I have selected all browsers in Safari extensions. I am being asked to enter my master password whenever I try to login a second time on the M1 iMac. Even with a very careful entry of this password it is never accepted. Must I do something the first time in a day to tell the 1Password app that this is not a public computer?

At this moment I have two iMac computers sitting on my desktop. Both are connected to the internet. I would like to get rid of the older one and eliminate two Keyboards from my office.

Thanks for supporting the best password manager ever!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @hawk713!

I now have two 1P icons in the dock.

Can you please post a screenshot of these two icons?

I have selected all browsers in Safari extensions.

Can you also let us know what you mean by "selecting all browsers in Safari extensions"? Thank you!

• hawk713
    hawk713
    Community Member
    Options

On my 2015 iMac:
    When Safari has the focus:
    the Menu bar shows options:
    1. About Safari
    2. Extensions

When I click on the second option Safari opens Apple's App Store.

See the second screen shot.

On my 2021 M1 iMac running the same versions of Mac OS Big Sur and the same versions of Safari Everything changes. I will send those screenshots later today. When I access 1password from my M1 iMac I do not see an option to specify this is NOT a public computer. My workflow requires access multiple times during the day and for the past two days after one use of the M1 iMac 1Password locks my account for the rest of the day.

• hawk713
    hawk713
    Community Member
    Options

This response shows the two icons at the bottom of the screen on my M1 iMac.

• hawk713
    hawk713
    Community Member
    Options

This is what happens when I click on the second 1Password icon in my dock on the M1 iMac.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@hawk713:

Thank you for the screenshots. How many 1Password apps do you see in your Mac's Applications folder?

• hawk713
    hawk713
    Community Member
    Options

My new M1 iMac will not allow me to access my family 1Password files. I have the latest Take Control of 1Password 5.0 book and want to use export from my current family plan. If I purchase a new family plan may I import data from each vault or will this be prohibited because the exports are identified as coming from the old family plan?

• @hawk713

To answer the two items shown in the dock, one is 1Password 7, and one is 1Password for Safari. 1Password for Safari is basically 1Password in the browser. It looks like it is attempting to walk you through the setup process.

We can help you on a one-on-one basis. If you would like to send us an email, please use support@1password.com to do that. You'll receive a support id after submission. Please post that back here so we can connect the two together.

This discussion has been closed.