To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Use 1password apps to store the OTP for 1password.eu's online access. Recommended or not?

Options
martijnk79
martijnk79
Community Member
edited June 2021 in Memberships

Hi,

Just enrolled for a cloud account via 1password.eu after being a 1password offline/mac license user for years. To protect my 1password cloud account I've enabled two factor authentication, however: is it recommended (or not) to use 1password apps on my mac and iphone to store the OTP for cloud access?

What if I get locked out of my 1password cloud account? Will I still be able to retrieve the OTP from my 1password apps to sign back in into my cloud account?

Thanks,
Martijn

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @martijnk79!

This is not a recommended approach, since if you get locked out of your 1Password account for some reason, you would not be able to access your 2FA code. You might still be able to get your code from another 1Password app that you can unlock (perhaps with Touch ID or Face ID), but it's risky in case you don't have access to an additional device.

For your 1Password.com account, it would be safer to store your 2FA code in a separate authenticator app.

• martijnk79
    martijnk79
    Community Member
    Options

Makes complete sense. Thanks for the quick response.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You are welcome @martijnk79! If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

This discussion has been closed.