Ability to unlock browser extension with TouchID goes away all the time

Options

Sometimes you can unlock the browser extension with TouchID and then all of a sudden it just stops working for a while and you have to use the master password again each time.

1Password Version: 7.8.5
Extension Version: 2.0.2
OS Version: OS Big Sur 11.4 (20F71)
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @greenpassword ,

If the extension loses its connection with the 1Password desktop app, the integration will stop and so will Touch ID. This can happen whenever the browser or 1Password updates (or has a pending update) but it definitely should not happen very often (e.g. multiple times a day).

If you go into the extension's settings page and turn off the "Integrate with 1Password app" option, then turn it back on, is everything working again?
    In case it doesn't, can you also try restarting 1Password and the browser like so:

1. Right click the little 1Password icon on the top menu bar of your Mac (where the clock is) and select "Quit 1Password Completely".
    2. Quit the browser by right clicking its icon in the Dock and selecting "Quit".
    3. Open and unlock 1Password.
    4. Open your browser and test if it is working properly.
  • onepasswordguy
    onepasswordguy
    Community Member
    Options

I'm having the same problem on Mac. After a reboot, everything works fine, but then eventually integration between the desktop app and browser extension breaks, sometimes within the same day. Chrome seems to be pushing out incremental updates very frequently, so I've had multiple times that communication between the desktop app and browsers stops working. The other day all browser extensions weren't syncing with the desktop app and, as far as I could tell, there weren't any pending updates for any of them (desktop app or browsers).

Your suggested fix above worked for me (fully quitting everything), but this feels problematic because a.) it's happening frequently and b.) I had to go dig around to find a community post to find a fix.

I'm technically savvy and had already tried almost all of these steps on my own, but hadn't fixed it (I wasn't aware of the "quit completely" function). I seem to remember a pop-up in the past, either from the desktop app or maybe the browser extension, indicating that communication wouldn't work because there was a pending update.

Is it possible to more proactively detect when this communication is broken and provide some in-app guidance? Or even better, show a warning pop-up and then restart some of these processes yourselves?

1Password 7.8.6
    Mac OS 10.15.7
    Chrome extension 2.0.2

• @onepasswordguy

It might be useful for us to get a better idea of what's happening in the background. If it happens again, I'd like to ask you grab a console log from your browser and send it to support+x@1password.com. We'll take a look and see if we can pin down what's causing integration to break.

• onepasswordguy
    onepasswordguy
    Community Member
    Options

Just because I posted about it, the problem hasn't reoccurred yet! The next time it comes up, I will capture the requested information and share it with you here. Thank you!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Sounds good @onepasswordguy, thank you for the update! :+1:

This discussion has been closed.