Purpose of wallet integration

blurpy
blurpy
Community Member

I'm happy to see that there's a native Linux client for 1Password now, and I've been using it for a few weeks.

The one thing that ruins the user experience is that I now have to enter 2 passwords to open 1Password. The master password, and the wallet password (in KDE). When using just the browser extension I only have to enter the master password.

I can press cancel in the request to open the wallet, then I get an error, and then 1Password opens anyway and works just fine.
Is there a way to handle this better? It annoys me to no end.

1Password Version: 8.0.34
Extension Version: 2.0.2
OS Version: openSUSE Tumbleweed
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hey @blurpy, I'm really sorry you're running into an issue with 1Password and Kwallet! Let's get it sorted out.

If your 1Password account has two-factor authentication enabled, 1Password uses KDE wallet to store the 2FA token to prove to 1Password that your account is authenticated - without storing that token, 1Password would require a totp code each time you signed in. That said, I've not heard of Kwallet requiring your keyring password on each sign-in.

I can press cancel in the request to open the wallet, then I get an error, and then 1Password opens anyway and works just fine.

Of note, when the prompt is dismissed, 1Password is unable to prove to the server that it is authenticated, and then reverts to showing you the locally cached version of your data. In this state, it is unable to communicate with the server and sync changes between the server and application.

To take a closer look, could you send me a diagnostics report to support+linux@1password.com? To generate a diagnostics report, open the 1Password app, navigate to the Settings menu, then switch to the Troubleshooting tab, and click Send Diagnostics Report. Then, attach it to your email to me at the link above, and I'll dig in.

After you email in, you should receive a Conversation ID that looks like this: [#ABC-12345-678]. Please paste that here, and I'll use it to track your email down from my end.

Thanks, I'm looking forward to getting this sorted for you! :smile:

• blurpy
    blurpy
    Community Member

Thank you for getting back to me @Dayton_ag!

I sent an email with the diagnostics an hour ago, but so far I haven't received any response. I can add another comment if I get one later.
    The tab with the diagnostics is called Advanced and not Troubleshooting btw, so I was a bit confused looking for it.

I understand what the integration is for now. 1Password asked me for a 2FA code today when I cancelled, which I haven't seen before now. Something eventually timed out in the cache I guess.

I can explain how I work on my computer so it's easier to understand.
    It's usually turned off most of the day when I'm at work. When I turn on the computer I usually open 1Password so I can login to different services, and then I might not use 1Password more that day. So, in the cases where I open 1Password, I almost always have to enter 2 passwords. I do think it keeps the wallet open for a while after that, though.

• @blurpy: Thanks for sharing that extra info! I'll see if I can track down your email on my end and continue our conversation there. :smile:

This discussion has been closed.