Editing form fields seems unfinished

Options
Tertius3
Tertius3
Community Member

There isn't full form editing support yet in the current early access version:

• I'm not able to move sections up and down (I'm not sure how it is named in English. In my German version, it's a "Abschnitt")
  • it's not possible to move (reorder) fields up and down within a section or from one section to another
  • If I created a field without a section (add the field with the bottom-most dropdown list), it's not possible to assign it a section header later, and it's also not possible to assign this field to an existing section
  • The (in V7) editable top section of a "Server" item doesn't show up as editable field in the V8 editor. However, the (from V7) edited section header appears in view mode, not in editor mode.

I'm trying to get the best field arrangement for server entries that have multiple ssh logins, but there is always some kind of redundancy or lack of structor with section names, field names (I need one "ssh username" and one "ssh password") for each ssh user and field values. One server item needs one ssh login for root and one ssh login for a user.

This is my current draft:
(The user "alex" appears twice. I don't know if I want him at the top section or if I should make him its own section. It belongs to the top section, but I cannot add any kind of small separator between the root password entry and the "login alex" entry.
(the server name in the screenshots below is unimportant. It's only a test)

Look at the "SSH-LOGINS" title above. In editor mode below, it's missing, so I cannot edit it. It was edited by me in V7:

I feel the "Server" template is not the best template for the collection of ssh logins to one machine. However, it's the same machine, only different credentials. Should I make 2 entries for the same machine? There is more: I have a machine hosting a mysql server. It has 8 mysql application logins, for 8 different local applications. I added 16 fields with 8 usernames and 8 passwords to the corresponding server entry, but it's really a mess. Is there a better solution? I'm not actually logging in to these mysql accounts, it's what the applications are using. The entries in 1Password is for documentation and in case something has to be reconfigured on the server.

Apropos ssh logins. 1Password is a password manager. It's a chore for sure, but in spirit of a password manager, I'd love to see 1Password to act as ssh authentication agent, or to add stored keys to a ssh authenication agent. Store the ssh private keys in 1Password, and provide them to ssh or to an ssh authentication agent.
On Linux, this is ssh-agent from OpenSSH, on Windows this is very often pageant (the Putty authentication agent; Putty is probably the most widely used ssh client on Windows).
Currently, I store my ssh keys in the file system. Would be great if I were able to store them in 1Password and use them from there.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Blake
    Options

Hi @Tertius3 👋

Please take in mind that 1Password 8 for Windows is still in Early Access, which does mean that not all features work, or are even present quite yet. We've recently discussed editing form fields and the ability to rearrange fields entirely over in this thread.

Is there a better solution? I'm not actually logging in to these mysql accounts, it's what the applications are using. The entries in 1Password is for documentation and in case something has to be reconfigured on the server.

Password fields (and server items) are not suitable for storing SSH keys, so secure documents might realistically the best way to store your SSH Keys, especially if obscuring the text is desired. Likewise, Secure Notes are another option, though obviously the text of the key is visible (which realistically shouldn’t be a problem, I can’t imagine a shoulder-surfer being able to copy an entire SSH key accurately anyhow)

1Password is a password manager. It's a chore for sure, but in spirit of a password manager, I'd love to see 1Password to act as ssh authentication agent, or to add stored keys to a ssh authenication agent. Store the ssh private keys in 1Password, and provide them to ssh or to an ssh authentication agent.

This suggestion has come up a number of times in the past, and currently, this isn't something we have on our roadmap. 1Password only interacts with your web browsers for filling forms online, it cannot communicate with other applications. While you can store this information in 1Password, you will still need to copy and paste it manually (or drag and drop!) when needed.

• Tertius3
    Tertius3
    Community Member
    Options

Please take in mind that 1Password 8 for Windows is still in Early Access, which does mean that not all features work, or are even present quite yet.

Certainly, I understand this perfectly. However, the degree of maturity and the intended feature set of the final product isn't clear. Some developers start to release their first non-crashing development versions years before final release, while others are releasing an almost finished product as "early access" with the release following only a few months later, so I wanted to make sure you know I miss certain base features such as form editing. If they get in some time later, perfect.

SSH key support isn't an essential thing, it's just nice to have. Since you already have much support for data beyond just password storing, it's a valid feature request in my opinion. The most surprising support is that "outdoor license", whatever that is, it's probably not essential for the vast majority of your customers. SSH key support, on the other hand, has a real everyday demand, because someone who uses SSH keys needs them many times a day, just as passwords, for which 1Password is genuinely made for. An ssh key is part of credential management, like a password, or a OTP key. I assume this is core business for you.

• Blake
    edited June 2021
    Options

it's a valid feature request in my opinion

I totally agree! It's absolutely a valid feature request, my apologies if it seemed like I worded things to act as if it weren't. I've gone ahead and added your voice to our internal issue regarding SSH Key item-types as well!

Personally, I would love to see SSH Keys become an item-type available within 1Password. I can only imagine how many of our developers would also rejoice at seeing it too. 🤗

ref: dev/b5/b5#11205

This discussion has been closed.