Streamline Windows Hello login

Hi,

Great job on the new 1Password 8 release for Windows. I really love the new UI and better integration with the browser extension. I've been using the Windows Hello via a Fingerprint sensor in 1Password mainly in Firefox 89 and was wondering if the Windows Hello login process could be optimized.

At the moment it's a 5 click process with a window switch
1. Select the password input
2. Click Open 1Password

3. Windows Hello prompt appears in the background and need to click in the taskbar to switch window

4. Press Fingerprint reader to authenticate with Windows Hello

5. Switch back to browser and click on 1Password dialog to populate password field.

6. Click sign-in to login

It would be nice if this could be reduced to one click and no window switching similar to the iOS workflow. So when user comes to the page with the login form, the "Open 1Password" dialog appears automatically, user can click on it to initiate Windows hello (either fingerprint or face authentication), once authentication is successful the username and password are automatically populated and form submitted.

Thank you,

1Password Version: 8.1.0-45.BETA
Extension Version: 2.0.2
OS Version: Windows 10 Build 19043.985
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hey there @Khufu_I, thanks for taking the Early Access release for a spin, and for this awesome feedback! We're really glad you like the release.

This issue has been raised to the Development team, and they're actively working to see how this can get fixed up - thanks so much for bringing it to our attention! :smile: Let me know if I can help out with anything else.

ref: /dev/core/core/#7951

• Khufu_I
    Khufu_I
    Community Member

Thank you for considering my feedback and the quick response @Dayton_ag. I wanted to add that the Windows Hello prompt sometimes appears correctly in the foreground but most of the time it's hidden in the background, usually it's after waking the computer up from sleep.

Once Windows Hello login is streamlined it would be great if 1password could allow locking immediately similar to iOS. At the moment the minimum computer idle timeout I can set is 1 min.

• Blake
    edited June 2021

I wanted to add that the Windows Hello prompt sometimes appears correctly in the foreground but most of the time it's hidden in the background, usually it's after waking the computer up from sleep.

This is definitely something we've seen ourselves as well! Don't worry, we will definitely get to the bottom of this one.

Once Windows Hello login is streamlined it would be great if 1password could allow locking immediately similar to iOS. At the moment the minimum computer idle timeout I can set is 1 min.

Just so we're on the same page, you're talking about "Lock on Exit" right? If so, I'd love to file this one away as a feature request! 😊

• Khufu_I
    Khufu_I
    Community Member

Just so we're on the same page, you're talking about "Lock on Exit" right? If so, I'd love to file this one away as a feature request! 😊

I was referring to how on iOS TouchID/FaceID is required for every password fill in Safari. It would be a nice option if on Windows using Firefox or Chrome Windows hello is shown for every website login.
    I think “Lock on Exit” only applies to the 1password app and is a slightly different feature.

• Blake
    edited June 2021

Thanks for the clarification!

Technically-speaking, your Master Password is already required in order to unlock 1Password and AutoFill your data in your browser. It sounds like maybe you'd benefit from simply increasing your AutoLock time to a shorter duration.

This discussion has been closed.