Duplication of entries not possible anymore?

In 1PW7 often I used duplication of entries e.g. when creating a new software license entry. So I got a new entry and only had to modify some specific fields like license key and so on.

In 1PW8 it looks like there is no possibility to double an entry. Am I wrong?

If there isn't, it would be great to implement this feature again to be able to duplicate entries.

1Password Version: 8.1.0-60.BETA
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: 1Password.eu

Comments

• MikeT
    edited June 2021

Hi @DenalB,

Thanks for writing in.

This is one of the changes where we've reworded to make things more consistent and clarified across all platforms.

In this case, as of yesterday's update, you can duplicate the item by making a "copy" of it into the same vault.

1. Select the item you want to make a copy of
    2. Go to the item's overflow menu on top right and select Make A Copy
    3. Select the existing vault and now you have a duplicated copy

I am aware that this is far more clicks than previous method.

The context menu on the item list hasn't been updated yet, we're working on making it consistent with the item's overflow menu you see on top right. We might be able to add an option to copy it in the same vault right off the bat there.

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member

Great @MikeT ! I didn’t realized this. Now I now how to copy an entry. I’m looking forward to have this in the context menu by right-clicking an entry too. :+1:

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member
    edited June 2021

Hey @MikeT ! Just copied an entry in the way you mentioned it.

First, it worked.
    Second, could it be possible, to add a "Copy of" in front or at the end of the entry name? Actually, you don't see which one is the origin and which entry is the copy.

Both entries have the same creation and modification date.

• Blake
    edited June 2021

@DenalB

Could I ask what your use-case would be for needing to clarify which one is the "Copy Of" if both items are exact clones of each other? Just curious! 😊

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member
    edited June 2021

Hey @Blake!

what your use-case would be for needing to clarify which one is the "Copy Of"

I am a perfectionist, and it looks much nicer. ;) :lol:
    Maybe the copy could get a new creation date? Would this be a good compromise? ;)

• Blake
    edited June 2021

I am a perfectionist, and it looks much nicer.

All completely fair points! I can be a bit of perfectionist myself, sometimes. 😜

Maybe the copy could get a new creation date? Would this be a good compromise?

The best I can say is... possibly!

I've gotten filed this away with our development team so we can continue to brainstorm on what could be improved here.

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member

Thanks a lot @Blake ! :+1:

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member

It would be great if a copied entry could get a new or changed creation date when using "Make a copy". Actually, the complete entry is copied, and also the creation date stays the same.

If you sort entries by creation date "newest first" and you copied an entry which was created some month ago, the newly created entry gets the same creation date. So it is not the first entry in the list.

1Password Version: 8.1.0-60.BETA
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: Not Provided
    Sync Type: Not Provided

• Not a problem - any time! :smile:

This discussion has been closed.