Temporarily removing Desktop App Integration

15678911»

Comments

• vplewis
    vplewis
    Community Member

@drewson In the main 1Password app, look for your previous passwords here:

Remember that if you don't have old passwords to show on a login page, this listing will be blank. hth

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for the feedback here guys.
    We're definitely working on improving things when it comes to generating/saving new passwords, so stay tuned :)

In the meantime, you don't have to use the automatically-suggested new password that 1Password offers on the webpage. You can click the 1Password icon in your browser's toolbar instead and navigate to the generator there where you have full control over the password you generate, just like you did with the previous extension.

• gandalf_saxe
    gandalf_saxe
    Community Member

Just switched to 1Password X because I found that the classic extension is becoming increasingly unreliable, i.e. more and more it claims that the Desktop app is not installed. The only reliable workaround I've found is the restart the system, but this takes way too much much of my time in general. And 1Password X not having TouchID is a dealbreaker.

If anyone knows why the classic extensions so often can't see the desktop app, and a better workaround than system restart, that'd be great.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Hey @gandalf_saxe ,

The classic extension will lose connection with the desktop app whenever the browser has a pending update and sometimes when 1Password itself updates. Instead of restarting the system, you can simply restart the browser and 1Password (including 1Password's background service).

However, 1Password in the browser (previously known as 1Password X) should now also connect to your desktop app and work like the Classic extension, only with all the new features that 1Password X offers. If you find yourself having to unlock 1Password in the browser separately from the desktop app, send us an email and we'll gladly troubleshoot this with you (support+x@1password.com).

• AMCarter3
    AMCarter3
    Community Member

My 1P Firefox extension is no longer connected to the desktop app. The browser extension does not recognize when the app is open. I have to sign the first time I use the extension each day. It then stays "open" for awhile.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Hey @AMCarter3 ,

Does the issue persists if you go into the extension's settings page and turn off the "Integrate with 1Password" option, then turn it back on? Even after a computer restart?

If so, please send us a diagnostics report and the extension's log via email to support+x@1password.com:

• AMCarter3
    AMCarter3
    Community Member

Ag_,

Where is the extension's settings page? I looked in the Firefox Add-on's and do not see any way to manage the 1P extension other than allowing automatic updates and use in private windows. WAIT! CORRECTION... I just found it! As a last resort, it occurred to me that maybe I was missing something basic... I double clicked on the menubar icon and suddenly found the Settings in the dropdown menau. The default was set to auto lock at 10 mins.

STRONG SUGGESTION: Add some simple instructions in the "Manage" section for the extension explaining how to find and open the SETTINGS. (Do not assume that "everyone" knows to double click on the icon. I've been using computer browsers for over 25 years and never knew you could do that!).

• @AMCarter3

The typical way I access the settings would be to right click on the 1Password icon in the browser's toolbar and then select Settings from the context menu. You can also get there by left clicking on the extension icon, clicking on the gear in the upper right, and then selecting Settings. I'm sorry that wasn't very discoverable for you. I'll pass that feedback along to the development team.

Ben

• AMCarter3
    AMCarter3
    Community Member

Thanks, Ben. I know it’s easy to assume that most people keep up with the details and changes about how to use a browser. I consider myself to be pretty good at this stuff… but I routinely discover things that are obvious to others… and vice verses too.

• neddy
    neddy
    Community Member

Just wanted to stop by to say thank you for returning the desktop integration. It's so nice to use. It took a while, but I'm glad it's here now. It's worked flawlessly for me so far. Cheers!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for the kind words @neddy, I am glad to hear you are enjoying it :)

• AMCarter3
    AMCarter3
    Community Member

I'm struggling with 2 issues related to the latest browser extension: 1) I don't see a way to enlarge the drop-down window. A good number of my site logins have titles that cannot be fully seen in the fixed window. It would really help to be able to enlarge the window as you can with the desktop app. 2) Where is the feature for creating a NEW password? I've bumped into this several times this week and have had to jump back to the desktop menubar app. It is a clumsy way to generate a new password.

• vplewis
    vplewis
    Community Member

@AMCarter3 Does this help? After you Pin on Screen, the window becomes resizable.

• AMCarter3
    AMCarter3
    Community Member
    edited June 2021

Thanks, but no, it actually does not help. Your screenshot shows the desktop menubar window, not the browser extension window.. which is quite different and does not offer a way to generate a new password or resize the window. Here is a pic of the window I am referring to:

• @drewson

We made a change recently and relocated the previous password feature to the end of the password section. Click the "v" to show the option while hovering over the password field.

Here is a screenshot that should help so as not cause any further confusion.

• AMCarter3
    AMCarter3
    Community Member
    edited June 2021

Hmmm, I don't see a "v" in the password field in my 1P browser extension window as you state. Your pic does not show how to create a NEW password. Here's what I see:

And I still do not see a way to PIN and expand the window... I'm still very confused about this.

1P extension ver 2.0.2 in Firefox 89.0.1

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@AMCarter3:

I think the post from my colleague Tommy was meant for user drewson ;)

To create a new password directly in the extension, open it, click on the + button and select the Password Generator option:

The window size at the moment cannot be resized or pinned, for that you need the 1Password for Mac desktop app, as vplewis suggested. Perhaps this is something that our developers can consider for the future of the browser extension too :+1:

• AMCarter3
    AMCarter3
    Community Member
    edited June 2021

I have the desktop app and use the PIN / Re-size feature a LOT. (I was actually part of the Beta test team that encouraged the PIN feature.) I consider these two features to be essential and are much needed in the new browser extension.

For example, I have about 6 login's that start with the word "Apple....". Virtually all of these titles are longer than the space allowed in the browser extension window. I'm faced with guessing which one is the right one every time. And that is just ONE example. I have multiple bank accounts at the same bank. My wife and I have multiple shopping accounts at vendors like Costco or CVS Caremark pharmacy. All of these login titles are carefully worded so that we can distinguish between them and use the correct login. As it is now, it constantly feels like we are "rolling dice" and hoping we get the right one.

Please give this feedback to your development team. (And by the way, the rest of the new browser extension is absolutely terrific!)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@AMCarter3:

Thank you for sharing the specific examples that you would find useful. I have a question for you:

My wife and I have multiple shopping accounts at vendors like Costco or CVS Caremark pharmacy. All of these login titles are worded so that we can distinguish between them and use the correct login.

Are these 1Password items using the same email address? Because in the 1Password extension, you can see the Title and the Username fields, so would the email address not be enough to distinguish between them for you?

• AMCarter3
    AMCarter3
    Community Member

No, all of our multiple logins use a unique email address. My wife and I simply combine our respective 1P logins in one vault because it is just easier for us. Combined, we currently have 857 login's.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@AMCarter3:

So wouldn't the combination of a (perhaps even shorter) item title and the email address (or account username) not be enough to differentiate between multiple Logins on the same website?

• AMCarter3
    AMCarter3
    Community Member

I think of that as a compromise that I don't like. I've worked hard to manage on online accounts, including routinely refining the titles of many of our login's. I don't consider my login titles "long". And, I'm not interested in being forced by the software design to shrink a reasonable login title into some abbreviated version that we cannot remember. The whole point of 1P was, in my view, to make it easy and secure for users to manage their online "life". 1P is hard enough to learn and master without limiting the user's ability to see the full title of their login's. If we could manage the FONT size, I would be interested.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2021

@AMCarter3:

Got it, I have let the developers know, perhaps this is something they can consider in the future :+1: :)

ref: dev/core/core#8319

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for the input here @AMCarter3 .

Just in case we missed it, I wanted to chime in here to note that you can pin the 1Password extension's window by clicking this icon:

The pinned window is adjustable and you can navigate your way around your logins and view their full titles after you resize the window.

• AMCarter3
    AMCarter3
    Community Member

That's really nice to know. I did not know that the purpose of that icon was to PIN the window. I suggest you ask your development team to PLEASE NOT ASSUME that your users understand what those new icons mean in this new browser extension. The new extension has some very surprising features and some very puzzling limitations.

Another example of this mystery icon issue involves how to create and replace a password in a login account using extension. I was completely baffled about how to this for weeks. It took explicit guidance from you guys on this forum for me to find it. Even now, as I type this, I can't remember how to do it.

Two other examples... first, I was totally and pleasantly surprised to see that my account login is now instantly visible and clickable in dropdown window just below the username and password fields for many (not all) online accounts. I had no idea that feature existed. It just showed up one day. Second example... which I have already reported, is the inability to resize the extension window so the entire login title can be seen. I run into this limitation every day. It is very frustrating.

My conclusion is... you guys did amazing work to invent a new and more powerful browser extension that is compatible with Apple's latest security technology requirements (I assume that was a big hurdle. Kudos to you for that. However, you have fallen short in my view in terms of helping us understand and learn how the new extension works. It is more like a like a new app, than a simple new browser extension. I think you have underestimated how challenging it is to fully learn how to use it. I have not seen ANY communication from you that provides a USER guide that would help us learn about this new and long awaited extension. There are too many mystery icons whose function is not obvious even when the user, like me, clicks on them to try to figure out their purpose. I assert that this new extension is so different that it would be wise for you, Agilebits, to go out of your way to make the learning curve easier.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for the feedback and input here @AMCarter3 , it is much appreciated!

1Password in the browser has been around for a couple of years now (previously known as 1Password X), so I think the biggest issue here is that you found yourself with this extension unintentionally, while you were expecting to see the old 1Password Classic extension, so all the changes came out of the blue and that was a rough landing that you were not prepared for.

Indeed, 1Password in the browser contains lots of great new features and abilities. The best place to start and get better acquainted with it is here: https://support.1password.com/getting-started-browser/

I will forward your feedback as necessary. Do feel free to email us or post new questions here in the community forum as you encounter issues or have questions - we'll always be happy to help! :)

• AMCarter3
    AMCarter3
    Community Member

Actually, that's not accurate. I have often been willing to try beta versions of the app or the extension over the many years I have owned 1P. I have provided feedback on beta and stable versions for years. Years ago, you used to form beta tests groups for new releases... and I participated in some of them and felt really good when I saw some of my suggestions become integrated into the desktop app. Now, as far as I know, you don't use big beta test groups like you did in the past (or I'm not aware of any invitations like that anymore).

I jumped to 1P X browser extension quite deliberately as soon as it was released. My feedback is meant to give you guys one person's perspective on using it. Basically, I'm now viewing 1Password as TWO apps -- both good, but slightly different in features and functionality from a user perspective. My feedback just a reflection of my perspective as of "now".

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2021

@AMCarter3:

On behalf of the entire team, thank you for the support and feedback over the years then!

Now, as far as I know, you don't use big beta test groups like you did in the past (or I'm not aware of any invitations like that anymore).

You are indeed writing in a discussion in the browser beta group :) Anyone can use the betas, so we can get the biggest possible beta groups, as you say:

Use 1Password beta releases

Depending on the platforms you use, you can then join the discussion in the relevant Beta forum categories that you can find in the forum home page: we currently have sections for Android, iOS, Linux, Mac, Windows and Browsers (the one we are currently in :) ).

This discussion has been closed.