1Password in the browser doesn't work with Microsoft Office.

Just another example of a login and password floating window that 1Password in the browser does not recognize, which requires that I use the instance of 1Password in the System Menu Bar to copy and paste the password..

1Password Version: 1Password 7 Version 7.8.6 (70806001) 1Password Sto
Extension Version: 2.0.3
OS Version: OS X Big Sur V11.15 Beta 20G5042c
Sync Type: 1Password

Comments

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Hey @FogCityNative ,

That looks like a 3rd party app's login window rather than a browser window. Could that be the case?
    If it is a browser window, can you please write detailed instructions on how to get to such a login window that we can reproduce here?

• FogCityNative
    FogCityNative
    Community Member
    edited June 2021

Thanks for the reply. Nope, not a 3rd party app. Standard Microsoft Office Login and PW window.

Easy for me to recreate.

1) Launch Excel
    2) Log out of Microsoft Office
    3) Click my picture in the upper left to log in.
    4) Up pops the window, First Window for username, my e-mail. Pre-populated.
    5) Press NEXT
    6) Changes to the PW window.
    7) Place cursor in the PW field.

NOTICE there is no iPW bug in the field to click on to launch 1P in the browser. And it's MICROSOFT OFFICE. So shocked this hasn't been reported earlier.

See the screen shot attached.

It appears either something is VERY weird with my computer, or 1Password has a problem with floating, pop-up, log in and PW boxes. Same problem exists with log in and PW for Zoom

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for the info @FogCityNative .

The top left corner of your screen (where the Apple logo is) shows that this is Excel, not Chrome/Firefox/Edge etc. This is not an actual browser, this is Excel opening a built window that goes to Microsoft's login page, and there is no 1Password installed there so there is no way for 1Password to show up in it.

The frontmost active app you use will always show its name on the top left corner of your computer, allowing you to know which app it is. In this instance, it is Excel. If Excel were to actually launch a browser window for the login process, then it would say "Chrome" or "Edge" or whichever browser you use on the top left corner of your computer.

So the only option you have in this instance is to use drag and drop - Open the 1Password app (or press CMD+ALT+), locate your login for Microsoft, grab the username/password with your mouse and drag it into the fields on that login window.

• FogCityNative
    FogCityNative
    Community Member

Thanks. Are you saying there is no programmatic way to solve this issue? This is why I cannot get rid of 1Password in the System Menu Bar, for just these kinds of circumstances, where I must copy and paste the fields.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2021

The programmatic solution would be to create a 1Password extension/addon for every 3rd party app that exists, so that 1Password can interact with it. Obviously that's not possible.
    The other solution is for the operating system itself to allow password managers to autofill in 3rd party apps (which is not far fetched and was already discussed!).

But currently, there is no way for 1Password to autofill inside an app where it is not installed. You have the 1Password desktop app for easy managing of your database and to be able to drag and drop into 3rd party apps. You have the 1Password extension installed in your browser so you can autofill and save new logins on webpages.

I hope that clarifies how things work behind the scenes :)

• FogCityNative
    FogCityNative
    Community Member

I think I understand that these front ends are not really apps. The apps are partially in the cloud, and there is some code stored and executed locally. But without an Internet connection, they don't work or barely work. They just are programmed to look like apps, have icons like apps, show up in the Applications folder, but they are not apps. They are front ends to an Internet connection that goes through the browser and connects to the app in the cloud. So, they're not browser pages and as such cannot interact with 1Password in the browser. Onyt the login and password pages are browser pages, correct?

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2021

The front end is an app. Excel is an app that is stored locally on your computer.

The app does require you to have a valid Microsoft account (just like 1Password requires you to have a valid 1Password.com account).
    But when you need to log into your account, the app opens a built-in window that is like a very limited browser, designed to only launch a specific login page which requires an internet connection. It does not have 1Password installed and it is not a part of your actual browser (Chrome/Edge/Firefox...), so because 1Password is not installed there, you cannot use it to autofill.

The main point here is that 1Password is not installed in that window where it asks you to sign in, even though it looks like a normal webpage that looks like the one in your browser.

• FogCityNative
    FogCityNative
    Community Member

Hopefully, they'll find a solution. Why not just open a link to a real web page in the browser for the credential verifications? Or would that not work because the website has to communicate with the app to let it know the user has a valid account? Are you guys offering these giant companies tools to integrate with 1Password if they choose to do so??

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Why not just open a link to a real web page in the browser for the credential verifications?

User experience dictates that keeping users in the app is better than sending them to a different app, which might be confusing to some less-savvy users. So keeping them inside the app and launching a built-in signin window is better for most.

Are you guys offering these giant companies tools to integrate with 1Password if they choose to do so?

We do where possible. For example, in iOS/Android the operating system has a built-in mechanism for autofilling that other apps can utilize, so we can integrate to the OS's autofilling mechanism and fill into 3rd part apps, as well as offering 3rd party app developers the ability to integrate to 1Password natively.

This is not yet possible in desktop operating systems, but it sounds like it may be possible in the future (perhaps sooner than we think).

This discussion has been closed.