Exact URL matching + Port number matching filters for credential list

TravelSD
TravelSD
Community Member
edited March 2022 in 1Password in the Browser

I have two situations that I think 1 Password X could be smarter in dealing with:

1) Exact URL matching for multiple hostnames on the same domain
2) Exact port number matching for multiple web services on the same host but unique port numbers

For #1, I have this example: Two web services on the same domain, but unique hostnames, e.g server1.mydomain.com and server2.mydomain.com. With 1 Password X, the login box for both hostnames lists BOTH login credentials even though in 1Password the URL for the credential is an exact match. It would be nice if there were an 'exact URL match' filtering option so that if a saved credential URL exactly matched the FQDN, only the credential for that FQDN would be listed..not everything for the base domain name.

For #2, I run Docker and multiple docker containers use the same IP but have unique port numbers. For example, web service 1 could be: 10.10.10.10:8889, and web service 2 10.10.10.10:9005. In this case, again, 1Password X lists all credentials for that IP. I think it would be smarter if 1Password X could take into consideration IP/FQDN and Port numbers and if there's an exact match, only list that one credential. As it stands now, when I access one of my docker services I get a credential list that has more than 8 entries in it.

1Password Version: 7.8.3.0 Beta
Extension Version: 1.25.6
OS Version: macOS Big Sur 11.3
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2021

Hi @TravelSD!

Thank you very much for taking time out of your day to to share this feedback! We appreciate every idea that could make 1Password even better.

I can see how this could be useful to you, so while I cannot make any promises, I can tell you that I have shared your feedback internally :)

Once again, thank you and have a wonderful day!

ref: dev/projects/customer-feature-requests#31

• loggor
    loggor
    Community Member

+1 For this. My login suggestion in some places are like this because of the *.domain.com suggestion. Idk, maybe add a checkbox somewhere that enables exact URL matches for suggestion?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for the feedback as well @loggor, noted :+1:

• warpspeed
    warpspeed
    Community Member

I'd like to +1 this feature. I have instances like this where I get multiple results and what I really want to do is have an option in the 1Password entry to say only ever match this on exact URLs.

The particular instance I come up against this is an authenticated site where I need to put some additional auth in on specific pages sometimes. But the overall site is the same URL.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for letting us know @warpspeed, and for the specific example :+1:

• Stanzilla
    Stanzilla
    Community Member

I totally agree. Very often you have different services running on different subdomains/ports and 1Password really does not handle that well. Here is an example how LastPass handles this, it's works well https://medium.com/@dapperdan85/lastpass-url-rules-18a5414b9f43

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us, @Stanzilla!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Naxterra:

How are you managing to stay on the .fr website? No matter what I do, I keep being redirected to disneylandparis.com here.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

The base domain (disnylandparis.com) is identical in both URLs so it is the same website even if the pages are completely differently designed.

1Password bases suggestions on matching the base domain. If there is a match for both the subdomain + base domain (e.g. pass-annuel.disnylandparis.com), then it will show up first in the suggestions, but you will still get suggestions for all logins that contain the base domain disnylandparis.com.

If the base domain is different (e.g. disnylandparis.fr) , then suggestions should not show up unless you have both domains listed in the login item.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Which problem are you referring to @Naxterra ?

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

We already have that on our TODO list :)

In the meantime, as I mentioned, if you have a login item that contains the subdomain+domain in the "website" field, it should show up first in the list of suggestions when you visit that specific subdomain.

• reediculous456
    reediculous456
    Community Member

Hello,

I work for the University of Cincinnati, and all of our login pages are *.uc.edu, but don't necessarily use the same login credentials.

When I'm trying to log into one of these sites, 1Password suggests every *.uc.edu password that I have saved for each site even though the url field is specific to foo.uc.edu.

Could you add a feature that would allow me to say for *.uc.edu sites, only suggest a password if the exact base url is matched?

Thanks,
    Wes

1Password Version: 7.8.6
    Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
    OS Version: macOS 11.4
    Sync Type: Not Provided

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2021

Hi @reediculous456!

Thank you very much for taking time out of your day to to share this feedback! We appreciate every idea that could make 1Password even better.

I can see how this could be useful to you, so while I cannot make any promises, I can tell you that I have shared your feedback internally :)

Once again, thank you and have a wonderful day!

• tt_tom
    tt_tom
    Community Member

Hello.

I have the same problem./wish.
    Please please implement this feature.

And it would be very helpful in daily use.

Thanks
    Tom

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for the feedback too @tt_tom, I have let the developers know that you would also find this useful :+1:

• ThoughtfullyYours21
    ThoughtfullyYours21
    Community Member

Yes, subdomain URL matching would be helpful

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you as well @ThoughtfullyYours21, noted :)

• mcnahum
    mcnahum
    Community Member
    edited November 2021

I'm using since years 1 Password but there is 1 thing who annoy me since the beginning.
    When have a domain name, you can multiple sites who can have multiple services running on it who need different login to access it:

website1.mysite.net --> login 1
    website2.mysite.net --> login 2
    website10.mysite.net --> login 4

today with 1 password when I go to site2.mysite.net it will suggest me login 1, login 2, login 4...

if in the web site entry I put exactly "https://website2.mysite.net* why login 2 is not coming directly?

Do you already think to fix it?

1Password Version: Not Provided
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: Not Provided

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @mcnahum!

if in the web site entry I put exactly "https://website2.mysite.net* why login 2 is not coming directly?

In this example, Login 2 should appear at the top of the list, but since 1Password matches URLs at the domain level, it will show all possibilities for the website. I will let the developers know that you would like a different behavior :+1:

• mcnahum
    mcnahum
    Community Member

Thanks, it's exactly that, a match at the subdomain (at least to put it on the top of list)

• steve28
    steve28
    Community Member

This issue has been around since the beginning of time (at least a decade)... do not count on them fixing this. In BitWarden they address this with a drop down that allows you to select how you want an entry to be matched (domain, subdomain, or full URL).

• ag_chantelle
    edited September 2021

@mcnahum

1Password currently only suggests items based on the root domain. One of our extension developers shared the reason for this limitation here.

We understand the value of wanting 1Password to suggest only exact matches based on their subdomain or port. While I can't say for sure when or if this will be available, I can your request for this feature with the appropriate team so they can take it into consideration.

That being said, when you are presented with suggestions, 1Password will always offer the closest match at the top of the list with any subsequent suggestions related to the root domain. If you find that you're using a specific Login more frequently than others, adding it to your "Favourites" will ensure that it's presented first - regardless of the subdomain.

ref: ref: dev/projects/customer-feature-requests#31

• johniden77
    johniden77
    Community Member
    edited October 2021

Hi, is it possible to limit suggestions based on an exact URL? For example, I use two different URL's for my bank:

https://digitalbanking.firstcitizens.com/
    https://securemail.firstcitizens.com

I'd like the suggested login for https://securemail.firstcitizens.com to only be suggested for that particular, complete URL...not for any other URL with the domain of ...firstcitizens.com. Is this possible? Thanks!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @johniden77!

Not at the moment, but I can see how this could be useful to you, so while I cannot make any promises, I can tell you that I have shared your with the developers :)

• johniden77
    johniden77
    Community Member

Thank you

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

You are welcome @johniden77! If you have any other suggestions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)