Secret key & gaining access

dudley
dudley
Community Member

I am curious - if someone finds/steals your secret key (not the master password), can he/she get to your account?

Related question - if I forget my Master password but I do have access to my devices and I do have the secret key as well, will I be able to retrieve it or change it?

Thanks.

1Password Version: 7.7.810
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @dudley!

I am curious - if someone finds/steals your secret key (not the master password), can he/she get to your account?

No, they need your Master Password too :+1:

Related question - if I forget my Master password but I do have access to my devices and I do have the secret key as well, will I be able to retrieve it or change it?

For your privacy and security, your Master Password is not stored anywhere, only you know it. This means that it is not possible to recover it unless you are a member of a Families or Business accounts. If you have an Individual account or a standalone license, you can try and recover your Master Password:

If you forgot your Master Password or you can’t unlock 1Password

If, on the other hand, you are part of a Families or Business account, you can ask another Admin to recover your account for you:

Recover accounts for family or team members

During recovery, you will be able to choose a new Master Password.

• dudley
    dudley
    Community Member

Thank you !

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

You are welcome @dudley! If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

This discussion has been closed.