Ability to set local password

Options

I get that local vaults support was removed in 8.x version, but could you at least bring back option to set local password (the only thing I uses local vaults support)? The one used to sync is kinda too long to enter it on each unlock.

1Password Version: 8.1.0-60.BETA
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Tertius3
    Tertius3
    Community Member
    Options

If you use a standalone vault just for a shorter password, you're using 1Password not as intended. There are many functions that make you entering the master password less often.
    Windows desktop app: use Windows Hello, that means configure Windows to accept a PIN in addition to your Windows password. Then configure the 1Password desktop app to unlock with Windows Hello, which means it accepts the Windows PIN in addition to the master password.
    Browser plugin: Use the current browser extension, not the classic extension, and configure it to integrate with the desktop app. This way the (Window Hello) unlock is shared between desktop app and browser.
    Android: Configure fingerprint unlock, or if unavailable, unlocking via PIN.

In all these cases, you need to enter the master password only once after you reboot the device and not again while the device is still running.

And don't hesitate to change your master password to something easier to enter. A login that isn't used, just because the password is too difficult to enter, isn't a good login. If your common passwords are in your local vault behind an easy local password, these are not very secure. These are at risk. Find a good middle ground. I, for example, switched to a master password that doesn't contain any characters that require some modifier key such as SHIFT to enter except with letters. But since this is easy to type even on a smartphone, the password is rather long.

• revanmj
    revanmj
    Community Member
    Options

But this will also set PIN for Windows, which I don't want, I want to have that password just for 1Password.

• dsouzadrian
    dsouzadrian
    Community Member
    Options

Is local vaults not going to be supported in 1Pass 8 or has it just not been implemented yet ?

I use a local vault since I do not want certain logins syncing back to the cloud. If 1Pass 8 will not support local vaults - will there be a utility to get those login's exported out ?

• Blake
    edited June 2021
    Options

Hi @revanmj 👋

A Master Password for a 1Password Account has a built-in minimum of 12 characters needed, there's no way around this limitation.

That said, as @Tertius3 mentioned, don't be afraid to change your Master Password to something easier for you to remember and enter, provided it's still strong and memorable; after-all, you've still got your 34-character Secret Key that adds another level of security on top of your Master Password you can rely on too!

@dsouzadrian

Our founder, @dteare goes in-depth about Local Vaults over in this thread. Go give it a look!

This discussion has been closed.