In Android, Password Generator is Missing

fredu123
fredu123
Community Member

Hi. Apologies if this has been addressed previously, I couldn't find any results.
In android, the password generator function is missing.
I KNOW what you are going to say; "Its by design, you do this when registering etc". This however, doesn't work for me. Several times now, on android, it has not detected a 'Change password' or new account registration, in apps. In Lastpass, I could at least generate a password and copy it to the clipboard. I cant in 1Password.
Am I missing something?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

@fredu123 If you create or edit an item then you get the option to generate a password within the item. Does this work?

• fredu123
    fredu123
    Community Member
    edited March 2021

Hi again ;-)
    Yes, of course, the creation of new items is fine. I can do this no problem
    For password resets, I need to page away from the app, open 1password app, generate password, copy to clipboard, and paste in the 'New Password' box.

The only problem is, this is not supported in 1Password Android app! I cannot find a manual password generator option anywhere. Its there for chrome, but why not the defacto android app? Or is it hidden somewhere else?

• Hey @fredu123, welcome to the Forum!

In order to generate a new password on your Android device, you'll need to do so within the Android app: https://support.1password.com/change-website-password/?android#change-your-password.

Let me know if you have any further questions :)

• BrianSul
    BrianSul
    Community Member

This is one of a handful of things I miss from Lastpass after migrating to 1password....

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

@BrianSul I agree. 1Password seems to hide the password generator in Android and on other platforms. Generating passwords is one of the top three functions of a password manager (generate, save, fill). We shouldn't have to keep telling people where it is.
    I think the strategy is to keep people away from the password generation and to automate it as much as possible, e.g. the Suggested Password feature in 1Password in the browser. As password managers become more widely adopted, most people will not want to get involved in generation. I get that and it should help adoption in the long term. However, it represents a barrier to entry for those of us who want to be in control and those who have existing workflows developed on other password managers. So I think its a "brave" position to take.

• Hi @missingbits and @BrianSul. We'll pass your request for a more easily accessible password generator on to our developers. ref: dev/core/core#3094

• njstringer
    njstringer
    Community Member

I’m in my trial period for a family plan looking for a replacement for LastPass. I struggled for two days on and off trying to figure out how to change a password while trying to convince my wife to start using a password manager. This missing feature, all by itself, has me considering moving on.

• Thanks for the feedback, @njstringer. I'll pass this on to our developers. In the meantime, please follow the steps in our knowledgebase to change your passwords.

• darrenb5
    darrenb5
    Community Member

I really needed this yesterday. That is, I needed the ability to quickly and manually generate a strong password that I could copy to the clipboard and use for a new account. It took a while to figure out that the only way to do it in 1Password is to "pretend" add a new login (tap the + at lower right, tap Login, tap the gear in the password field, copy the password, then tap cancel) so you can get to the password generator.

Recommend adding a link to the + at lower right to the generator the same as is on the 1Password Chrome extension (see below).

• Hey @darrenb5. If you're creating a new account, you can use the "Create new login" option in the Autofill prompt, and there you can save your username and generate a password. If you save the login, you'll be able to fill it right away into the site you're registering on.

That said, I'll pass your request for a standalone password generator on to our developers as well.

• Alex_10
    Alex_10
    Community Member

I also add my voice to standalone password generator. It'll help new users.
    After LasPass I without it as without left hand. :)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for the feedback as well @Alex_10 :+1:

• fredu123
    fredu123
    Community Member

@peri Is there any commitment from 1Password to have this feature implemented? The 'workaround' you mentioned above is just not feasible. The whole UX you mentioned above is awful. Why not simply add this change to the backlog?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@fredu123:

Why not simply add this change to the backlog?

I can confirm that the change request is in the backlog :+1: We don't have any other news to share about this at the moment though, sorry!

• fredu123
    fredu123
    Community Member

aah, good news! Thanks.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

You are very welcome @fredu123 :)

This discussion has been closed.