Touch ID stopped working - using 1P X Beta Chrome and 1P for Mac app

Hi - approx 2 months ago Touch ID stopped working and I'm having to enter my Master password some 6-10 times a day - I was hoping this was an update issue but the problems not been resolved and not a long term solution - esp as I'm paying your annual subscription - could you please advise what may be going on or help please - have reloaded all software and reset my Mac Touch ID finger print but still no fix - thanks Tom

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @tom9417!

Desktop App Integration has been temporarily removed in the latest beta, while we replace it with something that works even better. You can read all the details in this announcement:

Temporarily removing Desktop App Integration

Sorry for the inconvenience!

• tom9417
    tom9417
    Community Member

OK thank you - that explains what's happening - hopefully the DEsktop App integration will be back up and running soon - how can i find out when this becomes available?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@tom9417:

The best way is to keep an eye out on the release notes :+1: You can read then when you see the notification inside the 1Password X extension itself, or you can see our public changelog website.

• tom9417
    tom9417
    Community Member

I've 1Password X Beta Chrome and 1Password for Mac on my Macbook, but don't have 1 Password X
    What would you recommend i have running ?

• @tom9417

My apologies but I'm not entirely clear on what you're asking. Would you be able to elaborate/rephrase, please? This in particular is unclear, as it seems contradictory?

I've 1Password X Beta Chrome

but don't have 1 Password X

Thanks.

Ben

• tom9417
    tom9417
    Community Member

Hi Ben - this is where I get confused with app / extension naming from yourselves and it's slipped over in our communications - ag_ana message me saying the change notification for the new release will be inside "1Password X extension" ..... I don't know what is meant by this and thus I'm confused - which led to my question ..... What would you recommend i have running on (my Mac)? Thanks

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@tom9417:

ag_ana message me saying the change notification for the new release will be inside "1Password X extension" ..... I don't know what is meant by this

I was referring to this message that appears inside the 1Password X extension after there has been an update:

If you have been using 1Password X until now, I recommend you continue using it. Desktop app integration will be back, so it's just a matter of time until you can unlock 1Password X with Touch ID once again.

• tom9417
    tom9417
    Community Member

Thanks, as a semi IT literate consumer I get confused by your offerings - for feedback it would be helpful if you could clean up your naming as it gets confusing 1P, 1P X, 1P X Beta, 1P extension (Chrome), 1P X Beta extension (Chrome) ..... I assume when you mention 1 Password X it's a Mac app - if the case I have it running & look forward to an update and Touch ID functionality returning - should i have a Chrome extension running and if so which one? Thanks

• @tom9417

It may help if we try to clarify some terms here:

• 1Password - This is the name of the overall service. It encompasses all of the components: apps, extensions, etc.
    • 1Password X - This is our newest browser extension which works in a number of web browsers, including Chrome and Firefox. A 1Password browser extension is what allows you to access and fill the data you've stored in 1Password from within your browser.
    • Beta - A beta is a pre-release version of software, still under development. It is our testing ground, where we try out changes to see if they are going to work. As such the 1Password X Beta is a pre-release version of 1Password X.
    • 1Password for Mac- The application that lives outside of your web browser and provides access to your 1Password data from the Mac's Dock, menu bar, etc.

What you currently have is fine. If you're accustom to it, unless there is good reason to do so, I wouldn't encourage you to change.

Ben

• tom9417
    tom9417
    Community Member

OK thanks Ben

• You're very welcome. If we can be of further assistance, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Ben

• tom9417
    tom9417
    Community Member

I would like to know when the Touch ID will be reinstated within 1P for Mac users as having to retype my Master PW every hour of the say when I'm on line is too great a burden for me - I signed up to 1P earlier this year when it Touch ID was supported but now your platform isn't fit for purpose unless it's reinstated or a solution is available soon

Please can you give me a timeframe so i can make an informed decision - thanks Tom

• Ben
    Ben
    edited September 2020

Hey @tom9417

Unlocking via Touch ID is currently possible using the companion app extension instead of 1Password X:
    https://1password.com/downloads/mac/#browsers
    We hope to have support for Touch ID in 1Password X in beta by the end of the year. From Dave's announcement:

Starting in version 1.21.3 of 1Password X the Desktop App Integration experimental feature will be unavailable. We expect to add it back later this year for Mac, Windows, and Linux.

Ben

• tom9417
    tom9417
    Community Member

OK thanks Ben that helps - can i leave 1Password X in beta running alongside the companion app in the meantime?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@tom9417:

You certainly can, although I recommend keeping only one unlocked at the time to avoid confusion :+1:

• tom9417
    tom9417
    Community Member

OK thanks

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

You are very welcome :)

• tom9417
    tom9417
    Community Member

Hello - in the past few weeks I've been asked to enter my 1Password password 6-10 times a day again since a version upgrade when using Chrome - I've your Macbook app running plus the Chrome extension "1Password – Password Manager" - can you advise if there's a way to use my Touch ID fingerprint again to identify me and not my password - thanks

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@tom9417:

in the past few weeks I've been asked to enter my 1Password password 6-10 times a day again since a version upgrade when using Chrome

What version did you upgrade to? And for confirmation, you are referring to an upgrade of the 1Password browser extension or of the 1Password for Mac app?

• tom9417
    tom9417
    Community Member

Hi - I'm using Version 7.8.6 (70806001) - I'm assuming it's to the 1Password for Mac - all i know after a Macbook upgrade the 1Password logo started to reappear where I am to enter a website's ID/password window but rather than use my Touch ID to access my ID/password I'd have to enter my full 1Password password ..... so kind of one step forward and two back

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@tom9417:

Thank you for the confirmation. What browser is this happening with, and what version of the 1Password browser extension are you running there at the moment?

• tom9417
    tom9417
    Community Member

I'm running Google Chrome Version 91.0.4472.114 and "1Password – Password Manager" Version 2.0.2

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@tom9417:

Can you confirm if you have the integration with the desktop app enabled in your 1Password browser extension settings?

• tom9417
    tom9417
    Community Member

How do I access this list of setting options you're referring to?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@tom9417:

You can get there by opening the 1Password browser extension and clicking on the Settings icon:

• tom9417
    tom9417
    Community Member

Thanks - yes, I can confirm integration with the desktop app is enabled in my 1Password browser extension settings

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@tom9417:

Can you please send us some logs so we can take a closer look for you?

After you have sent the email, please feel free to post the ticket number you received so we can locate your message and connect it with this forum discussion.

Looking forward to your message!

• tom9417
    tom9417
    Community Member

Thank you - FYI I've sent a diagnostic report to the task id mentioned but can't find the extension log as I can't see a "background page" within the extensions developer mode - will post the ticket when receive

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@tom9417:

can't find the extension log as I can't see a "background page" within the extensions developer mode

Do you see a blue link next to the 1Password extension in your Chrome settings?

• tom9417
    tom9417
    Community Member

Morning - your colleague's advice has fixed my issue - thank you for your help again - best wishes Tom

Can you please check for updates for the 1Password extension by right-clicking the icon in the toolbar in your browser and selecting "Check for Updates"?
    _

This discussion has been closed.