PGP/SSH Keys in 1password

shaumux
shaumux
Community Member

I tried to save PGP keys in 1password but the text field seems to strip it of all new lines as such the keys become useless, is this in a possible feature?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @shaumux

There are a couple of options here. You could utilize the 'notes' field, which is multi-line, to store the key in text form, or you could create a Document item containing the key file itself. Others have suggested/requested in the past that we offer a multi-line password-type field (such that the contents would be concealed), and we have recorded that request for future consideration. :+1:

Ben

• kpitt
    kpitt
    Community Member

For PGP keys, the public key block is, by definition, non-sensitive data that wouldn't need to be hidden. The secret key block is already encrypted, assuming you care enough about security to have a decent passphrase on your key, so it doesn't really need to be hidden either. I think all that is really needed, at least for my use case, would be the ability to have more than one multi-line text field in a single item to store these various blocks separately.

I understand all of the issues from previous discussion threads regarding multiple vault formats and separate applications built for multiple platforms, but the "Software License" category already has a multi-line "license key" field that would provide exactly the behavior we would need to store key blocks. That seems to me like an indication that you already have all of the necessary support for storing this type of data and the UI for managing it. Would it be possible just to make the "license key" field type available for use in other item categories?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2021

I think all that is really needed, at least for my use case, would be the ability to have more than one multi-line text field in a single item to store these various blocks separately.

Thank you for the feedback on this too @kpitt, I have let our developers know that you would also find this useful :+1:

ref: dev/projects/customer-feature-requests#124

This discussion has been closed.