New 1password extension no longer can edit in local app

Options

Just to make sure I'm not missing something, the new 1password extension now integrates with the local app...although to be honest it's been hit or miss for me, they seem to lose knowledge of each other regularly...but I want to make sure I have the edit feature working as intended. The new plugin (edge/chrome) appears like it just takes me to the web site now instead of the local app and it also...strangely doesn't have my key/org already recognized. It doesn't log me in either. So this is a very difficult solution for me. I notice if I disable it, re-enable the classic plugin, then flip back (disable classic and re-enable the new), now when I edit it open the local app again and if I go to the 1password website manually it recognizes that my key has already been entered and asks me to simply enter username and pass.

So what is the intended behavior...is the problem editing (taking me to a blank web site) related to the frequent disconnect between the local app? It seems to be the local app asks me to install on the browser when this is happening and the plugin falls back to a localized/separate login. This happening fairly frequently on all of our devices.

1Password Version: 7.8.6
Extension Version: 2.02
OS Version: MacOS 10.15
Sync Type: Business Cloud

Comments

• darkfluid
    darkfluid
    Community Member
    Options

Just a note..it's like flipping between the old and new extension re-links the new browser extension and the local app temporarily.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @darkfluid!

I think what you are describing could be caused by the integration between the browser extension and the desktop app disconnecting. Some users have reported improvements using the latest beta of the browser extension. Would you be willing to give that a try and see if it improves things for you too? If you do, you can install the beta from here.

• zappa
    zappa
    Community Member
    edited June 2021
    Options

I have noticed that the new browser extensions continually tries to sign in via cloud (my1password) v.s just being an extension of the desktop app, is this intentional?

The user experience and UI workflow is a big step backwards in my opinion, the old one was much better

**Sorry on a side note we are experiencing the exact same issues as outlined above as well ;) (Latest Chrome on Mac)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@zappa:

This is intentional: you need to login to your 1Password account in the extension at least once to complete the connection between it and the desktop app :+1:

• darkfluid
    darkfluid
    Community Member
    Options

Since, 2.04 was just released I'll test it and see if it's more stable.

Thanks

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Sounds good @darkfluid! Let us know how it goes :+1:

This discussion has been closed.