Version 2.0.4 release notes: Smart passwords now have a higher password strength

Options

While reading through the release notes of version 2.0.4, I spotted this:

"Smart passwords now have a higher password strength."

I went ahead and generated a new password and got this:

xym3daj4YMG-frc*vqx

From what I can see the difference is that it's one "syllable" and one separator longer than previously. Also, the "syllables" are less readable, presumably because they're more random now.

Could someone from 1Password share some of the thinking behind this decision to increase the entropy for the smart password generator and what the algorithm is now? I'm just curious, that's all.

Thanks!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2021
    Options

Hey @MerryBit ,

Our previous default smart password, when we can't determine a sites requirement, was strong but we wanted it to be stronger. We changed it so that a new suggested password would be 19 characters (for the most part the same length as we previously had) but with a higher strength.

We updated our default password rules to be a password consisting of 5 groups of 3 character syllables with digit and special character separators.

The previous default smart password could have a range of characters but our new password is always 19 characters.

This discussion has been closed.