New extension from Microsoft Store hangs

alamarco
alamarco
Community Member
edited June 2021 in 1Password in the Browser

With Microsoft Edge I am using the new extension (2.0.1) from the Microsoft Store since it now supports Windows Hello (thank you for that!). Occasionally I find the extension hangs. I'm not quite sure how to duplicate it yet, but the symptoms are that the extension will say "Loading" and do nothing. The only way I've found to recover is completely closing Microsoft Edge (including an PWA's like Twitter) and then re-open Microsoft Edge.

At the moment this just happened when I was using Chrome (with the old classic extension, 4.7.5.90). I unlocked the old classic extension to login to a site in Chrome and when I came back to Edge it hanged and I couldn't recover without completely closing Edge. However, I tried to duplicate that and it seems to work properly where unlocking in Chrome using the old classic extension unlocked the new extension in Edge. So I'm not quite sure exactly what caused it. Is there log anywhere that would indicate the error that was occurring when it was hanging?

1Password Version: 7.7.810
Extension Version: 2.0.1
OS Version: Windows 10 20H2
Sync Type: 1Password

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @alamarco!

However, I tried to duplicate that and it seems to work properly where unlocking in Chrome using the old classic extension unlocked the new extension in Edge.

Can you please elaborate on this? It sounds like you are using both extensions in Chrome, is that the case?

• alamarco
    alamarco
    Community Member

No, I'm not using both extensions in Chrome. Edge is a different browser made by Microsoft. There's Microsoft Edge and Google Chrome, two separate browsers. I thought the issue stemmed from using the classic extension in Google Chrome, but I was unable to duplicate it. I've also had the issue happen without using the old classic extension. That's also why I asked about log files. If there were log files it would (presumably) show an error around the time the issue happened.

To make it more clear:
    Microsoft Edge (latest) is using the latest extension (2.0.1) from the Microsoft Store.
    Google Chrome (latest) is using the latest classic extension (4.7.5.90) from the 1Password site.

That's two different browsers, each with a different extension. No browser is using multiple extensions. Perhaps it's easier to just ignore me mentioning Chrome altogether.

Also, as indicated above, this issue has happened more than once without using the old classic extension, I was hoping to duplicate it more easily with the classic extension (which is why I mentioned Chrome). The problem is I don't know what causes it. It just randomly hangs and when it does, the only recovery is to completely close Microsoft Edge and any PWA's. If there was a log file it could better indicate what's going on. Is there a log file anywhere?

• @alamarco

We've made some improvements around this unlocking issue in our latest beta release. Would you be willing to give the new beta version (2.0.4) a try?

Note, our beta version is hosted in the Chrome Web Store, so you may have to allow extensions from other stores in Microsoft Edge:

1. Right-click on the 1Password icon on Edge's toolbar > Remove from Microsoft Edge.
    2. Install a fresh copy of 1Password beta from here > Close and Open Edge > Try 1Password again.

Let me know how it goes, or if you have any questions.

• mburford
    mburford
    Community Member

Hi guys,
    I've encountered the same issue in Edge and Chrome, both for which I have removed and reinstalled the extensions from the 1Password website. On clicking the 1Password toolbar icon and entering my password, it hangs on opening and the icon remains in the locked state. If in the meantime I open the 1Password app, it opens as already logged in. If I open the other browser, it launches with the 1Password extension logged in. If I close and reopen the original browser, the extension is logged in. So it appears that the login functions in the background, but not in the active browser unless closed and reopened.
    This seems to happen on a daily basis with the initial login.

1Password Version: 7.7.810
    Extension (MS Edge): 2.0.1
    Windows: 10 Pro v. 20H2

• alamarco
    alamarco
    Community Member

@ag_chantelle

I'm glad to hear there have been improvements in that area. Hopefully what I'm experiencing is what you've already caught and fixed. I will avoid the beta though. Due to the nature of 1Password dealing with highly critical data I'd rather not play around with a beta. If I was still on the old vault that wasn't tied to the cloud in which I could make a local backup before hand, I might have.

That does bring up another question. I don't see a backup option in the 1Password desktop app and I didn't see anything on the my.1password.com site either. Do we have no way to backup the new vaults?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@mburford:

Thank you for letting us know! Would you be willing to give the latest beta a try?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@alamarco:

I will avoid the beta though. Due to the nature of 1Password dealing with highly critical data I'd rather not play around with a beta.

Understood :+1:

That does bring up another question. I don't see a backup option in the 1Password desktop app and I didn't see anything on the my.1password.com site either. Do we have no way to backup the new vaults?

Backups for vaults on 1Password.com are made automatically for you:

1Password backups

If you also want to do this manually for some reason, you can always export your data (although be careful in this case, since the exported data would not be encrypted):

How to export data from 1Password

• mburford
    mburford
    Community Member

@ag_ana sure, I'll give it a shot from ag_chantelle's post.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Sounds good @mburford! Let us know how it goes :+1:

• alamarco
    alamarco
    Community Member

@ag_ana :

Is there any way to submit a feature request to allow data to be backed up/exported with encryption? With the old vaults you could simply make a copy of it and it would remain encrypted while providing you a secure backup.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@alamarco:

I have passed your request to the developers :+1:

ref: dev/projects/customer-feature-requests#34

• alamarco
    alamarco
    Community Member

@ag_ana:

Thank you!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

You are welcome @alamarco :)

• kculbert
    kculbert
    Community Member

Thanks to mburford for supplying a workaround. I see the same problem with Firefox. 7.7.810 / 2.0.4

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2021

Thank you for the update @kculbert! Can you please send us some logs so we can take a closer look for you?

After you have sent the email, please feel free to post the ticket number you received so we can locate your message and connect it with this forum discussion.

Looking forward to your message!

ref: KBH-91832-169

This discussion has been closed.