NEWBIE! Need Just a little Help with syncing across platforms (web , PC, Android, iOS)

From_Bit_to_1Pass
From_Bit_to_1Pass
Community Member
edited July 2021 in 1Password in the Browser

Hi all! I'm wanting badly to switch from Bitwarden to 1Password. So far everyting looks very good to me, even importing with MrC's converter seems to have went well, and this support community seems vibrant.

So here's the deal: I had 1556 records (logins) imported on my PC to the Windows 10 desktop version of 1 Password (hereafter 1PW). Great, looks good. But I am trying to get it into the ?cloud/1PW account (I purchased the Family Plan) and then onto my Android (Galaxy S21 Ultra). No dice.

Guess I'm a little confused: Must I put my "main vault" on the 1PW site/account/cloud? and then have 1PWs site sync with all my other devices? Or can I keep my "main vault" on my PC and still use the other devices regularly?

I'm already guesing I need to have my vault on 1PWs server so that all devices can communicate with it regularly (e.g what if my laptop / PC is off, how would I access those passwords online or on my android?).

Just a little help would be so greatly appreciated. It's time for me to switch from Bitwarden. It's a solid password manager, but 1PW seems more polished, I just need a tiny bit of help here.

Thank you all so much in advance!

1Password Version: 7.7.810
Extension Version: 2.0.4 (Opera)
OS Version: Windows 10 Home v. 20H2 (OS Build 19042.1052)
Sync Type: ?via the 1PW server/website??

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @From_Bit_to_1Pass!

Guess I'm a little confused: Must I put my "main vault" on the 1PW site/account/cloud? and then have 1PWs site sync with all my other devices? Or can I keep my "main vault" on my PC and still use the other devices regularly?

If you use your Personal (sometimes called Private) vault in your 1Password account, and you imported your items there, it will sync automatically via 1Password.com, so you don't need to move that manually anywhere.

This is of course if you want all your devices to sync. If you kept the vault stored only locally on your PC, you would only be able to access your data from that device.

I'm already guesing I need to have my vault on 1PWs server so that all devices can communicate with it regularly (e.g what if my laptop / PC is off, how would I access those passwords online or on my android?).

Correct: if data is stored on 1Password.com, you can access it from all your device, even when your PC is off). To access it online, you can go to https://my.1password.com. To access it on your Android device, you can just add your account to the 1Password app there:

How to add your 1Password account to the apps

• From_Bit_to_1Pass
    From_Bit_to_1Pass
    Community Member

Thank you ! And I just figured out (one way) to move all my records: Open the PC Desktop version, go to my "local PC" vault, select all records, and then drag them to the list of vaults on the left to the one that is on the 1PW website. It moved them all right over, and now I have all my records on my PC, my android and my iOS device.
    Thank you!!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

You are welcome @From_Bit_to_1Pass! And I am glad to hear that you already managed to move all your data :)

If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day and enjoy 1Password :)

• From_Bit_to_1Pass
    From_Bit_to_1Pass
    Community Member

Hello, ag_ana! Excellent response time, I hope you get time off sometimes !!

May I make a suggestion? #1 Correct me if I missed the big box with bold letters in the instructions during setup (and please show me where I missed it), but #2 Could you (i.e. Agilebits) please add clear and explicit instructions for new purchasers of 1PW on how to set it up. Here's a suggestion (I'd put a box around them but my HTML is a bit rusty (oh, and I'm not a coder either ;) ).:

NEW TO 1PASSWORD? WOULD YOU LIKE TO HAVE ALL YOUR DEVICES (PC, ANDROID, MacOS, iOS) ALL SYNC TO EACH OTHER AUTOMATICALLY? Then during installation make sure that you create your Main Vault on the 1PW servers at 1password.com. Then any change you make on any of your devices will automatically sync to all other devices attached to your account. [[_ If you don't perform this very important step (i.e. you choose to place your Main Vault on your PC, or Mac, or phone) then there will not be automatic syncing performed. You will have to manually go thru all your devices and sync each with the Vault-containing device._]]

[EDIT] Now, i just saw this page on your site (https://support.1password.com/migrate-1password-account/) , and yes, it does technically tell you how to do what I asked above, but (I'm sorry, I'm a geezer over 48 years old) I think you would be able to avoid a lot of questions to yourselves from fools like me if you had a page somewhat like what I proposed above. Just my thought, but I may be the type of person that you want to purchase your products, and the easier you make it, the easier it is for goofs like me to give you money for what must have taken years of hard work in producing what appears to be an awesome password manager.

Again, thank you very much. I'm excited about your app!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for the feedback @From_Bit_to_1Pass! Indeed, the documentation page that you mentioned would have been the one I normally suggest in this case. There are also a few more that might be useful:

Get started with 1Password

And this is one for when you create a Families account:

Get started with 1Password Families

This discussion has been closed.