Watchtower - Incorrectly indicates license is expired, no way to tell it that's not true

Options
CGamesPlay
CGamesPlay
Community Member

In 1Password 7 for Mac, when I look at Watchtower's "Expiring" category, there are a few licenses that have only "Issue date" and no "Expiry date". Watchtower seems to be viewing those dates as expiry dates, and indicates that those licenses are expired, even though they are not. I should be able to identify which dates specify an expiration of the license or credit card, etc.

Also, there's no way to tell Watchtower it's wrong about an item. For things like expiry dates that are objectively true or false, the option to say "no, that's incorrect" would be really nice.

This issue was previously discussed, but the proposed solution is invalid--outdoor licenses have the same problem.

1Password Version: 7.8.6 (70806001)
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.14.6 (18G9216)
Sync Type: 1Password Cloud

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @CGamesPlay!

I can't seem to reproduce this with a new Driver License item. Can you give me some examples of the fields and values you have in these items, so I can try to create a new one from scratch?

• CGamesPlay
    CGamesPlay
    Community Member
    Options

Yeah, it's really easy to recreate. I didn't add all the fields, but I did notice that the default name for the second date field is "expires", and that seems to be the same date that Watchtower decides the thing expires, even though it's not an expiry field any more. I also don't seem to remove that particular date field at all?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@CGamesPlay:

I didn't add all the fields, but I did notice that the default name for the second date field is "expires", and that seems to be the same date that Watchtower decides the thing expires, even though it's not an expiry field any more.

I think you found the culprit: even though you renamed it, that's a special field. Indeed, it's exactly the one that Watchtower looks at to report expired items. If you want to add a new date field, you can create a separate one:

Customize your 1Password items

You cannot remove the default "expires" field, but if you create your own custom one, you can simply leave that one empty, and it will not show up when you save the item.

• CGamesPlay
    CGamesPlay
    Community Member
    Options

Ah, it's pretty strange that it lets me rename it. Also strange that the custom fields can be rearranged, even put in between these special fields, but the special fields cannot be rearranged or removed themselves. Well, I guess at least Watchtower isn't complaining at me any more!

FWIW, "full name" and "valid from" are the only two fields that I even want for the licenses that I carry--the rest are irrelevant. Even "valid from" is actually "certification date" for my cards.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@CGamesPlay:

FWIW, "full name" and "valid from" are the only two fields that I even want for the licenses that I carry--the rest are irrelevant. Even "valid from" is actually "certification date" for my cards.

Indeed, this is why we allow editing these fields: some other users might not need the "valid from" date at all for example, and might only need the expiration date. By hiding fields that you don't fill in, 1Password won't clutter your view with data you don't need :)

• CGamesPlay
    CGamesPlay
    Community Member
    Options

Indeed, this is why we allow editing these fields: some other users might not need the "valid from" date at all for example, and might only need the expiration date.

Except, even when you edit the fields, the system still treats it as an expiration date 😉

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@CGamesPlay:

That's correct, that is a special field if you decide to fill it :+1:

This discussion has been closed.